Friday, March 19, 2021

Leadership Thought: The Letter I Received That Changed My Career Path.

Dear Friends,

Yesterday I came across a book on my bookshelves that had been given to me by a pastor named Sam Tatem. The title of the book was The Voice from the Cross by Andrew Blackwood, but what really caught my attention was what was written on the inside cover of the book.

On the first blank page of the book I read, “To my most devoted Christian friend whom I admire because of the grace of God. You are an exceedingly precious instrument of His Grace. To Tommy, Sam Tatem, March 7, 1967." It was 54 years since I had picked up the book, and I was surprised to read his note that I had long ago forgotten.

I never met my friend Sam, but we knew each other through the postman. The first letter I received from Sam was while I was a junior at Washington and Lee University where I headed  our Fellowship of Christian Athlete ministry. I had taken some of our F.C.A. members to visit a nearby  nursing home in the area, and a local newspaper had written up the story of our visit, and somehow the story got picked up by a paper a few hundred miles away in Newport News, Va. 

Sam was in his 70’s, and still pastoring a Baptist church when he saw the article and he took the time to write a note of appreciation,  encouraging me in our ministry.

For the next three years Sam and I corresponded through the mail, and each letter from Sam was always an expression of encouragement. We may have talked once or twice on the phone- I honestly don’t remember- but we always stayed in touch through the mail. Just before I was to graduate, Sam encouraged me to think about the ministry, and he encouraged me to consider enrolling in seminary. While I had considered seminary my senior year, I had already made plans to attend graduate school to secure a master’s in physical education, and I was now only two month from graduation.

To make a long story short, Sam continued to exhort me to explore seminary and shortly before graduation, I wrote and told him I had heeded his advice and would be starting seminary in the fall of 1965.

My letter writing friend was pleased to hear the news, and we continued to correspond while I was in Seminary. The book he sent me was one of the last pieces of mail I received from him because the Lord called him home shortly after the arrival of the book. While I never met Sam personally, our friendship grew as a result of our letter writing. Those three years’ worth of letters left an indelible spiritual imprint on my life.

I share this story because I believe it was Sam’s letters and prayers that God used to touch my heart and encouraged me to consider the ministry.

Don’t ever underestimate the power of the pen to make a difference in someone’s life. The written word is a powerful instrument to convey love and encouragement and through the years I have tried to make it an important part of my ministry.

Chuck Swindoll says it far better than I ever could in his devotional book, Day by Day. He writes “there is nothing quite like the charm and personal touch conveyed by a handwritten note. Since our penmanship, like our fingerprint, is altogether unique, each curve of the letter or stroke of the pen bears its own originality. There is personality and warmth and, yes, special effort too; for, after all, it’s much more efficient to click on the PC, bang out a few lines on the keyboard, and print it. But occasionally, it’s nice to think some still care enough to throw efficiency to the winds and look you right in the eye with the harmonious movement of their thoughts and fingers.”  He concludes his devotional thought with these words, “Let’s not allow the speed and efficiency of our high-tech society to crowd out the personal touch. The meaning and expression your fingers add to your words is worth all the effort, regardless of how poor your penmanship may be.”

So, let me encourage you to take some time this weekend to send a 'love letter' to someone whose life might be encouraged, even changed, like mine, because you took a pen in hand and let them know you cared.

Have a great weekend,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment