Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Leadership Thought: Defining Moments and my 80th Birthday.

Dear Friends,

Yesterday was a defining moment for me. On the day before I celebrated my 80th birthday, Jean and I had the wonderful opportunity to celebrate my birthday with some dear friends on our church staff. Some I had known from my first interim, and some from my second interim, but all of them have become special to me.

It was a wonderful time of sharing stories, both serious and whimsical, as we gathered around the table of my favorite Chinese restaurant. I will save you the details of our time together, however,  suffice to say  it was one of the most wonderful and memorable times of my life as I received cards, unforgettable gifts, balloons and a handcrafted ice cream cake fashioned by one of our pastors and made from two of my favorite Aldi’s ice cream products, "Make Fudge Not War,” and “Thank You Cherry Cherry Much.” (If you are not an Aldi’s shopper you are missing out, but that’s another story.

I have been blessed to serve in some wonderful churches and with some great people, but none of them have been more wonderful than the people with whom I have served the last five years, which has included two interims and now a regular staff position with two other younger pastors.

My Leadership Thought today was generated by yesterday’s birthday celebration  with staff and a  Friday morning Fellowship of Christian Athlete’s (FCA)  meeting with coaches from all over the northeast who meet by zoom for Bible study. This past Friday the subject was “Defining Moments in Your Life.”

A defining moment has been described as “a point in which the essential character of a person is formed. an  identify-forming event that changes you and your circumstances.”

For me, the most defining moment in my life was when I knelt beside my cot in Lake Geneva, Wisc. at a summer Fellowship of Christian Athletes Conference in 1962 and gave my life to Christ.

But there have been countless other defining moments in my life, maybe not as life changing as my conversion, but which have been pivotal in shaping  my life in significant ways. They would include marriage, college and career choices, friends, family, and  business decisions…

I have found the “Defining Moments” study to be an intriguing and valuable time for me as I was challenged to recall many of those events and decisions  that have made me who I am.

If you are looking for an interesting Bible study you might wish to ask participants to share any one of a number of defining moments in their lives and then discuss how those defining moments impacted their life. From there you might examine defining moments in the life of biblical characters and how the decisions they made impacted their life and the lives of others.

The main character on which we focused  was Paul and his Damascus Road experience. We discussed how that experience changed not only his life but the lives of the world around him as his newfound faith gave birth to rise and spread of Christianity. There are others: Peter’s decision to step out of the boat and walk on water, or his denials of Jesus, or his second chance to follow Jesus given on the seashore following Jesus’ resurrection. There is Moses choosing to step out in faith and lead his people through the Red Sea, or Joshua boldly declaring, “Choose this day whom you will serve but as for me and my household we will serve the Lord,” or David making a dent in the head of Goliath with a small stone from a tiny slingshot, or the coming off the Spirit at Pentecost, or the miraculous deliverance of Peter and John from prison, or the resurrection experiences of the women who discovered the empty tomb, or the “follow me and I will make you fishers of men” challenge. These are just a few of the many  life changing experiences worthy of study.

Identify what a defining moment is and then examine those defining moments in your life and share how those special moments have shaped your life. Ask God to show you how you can create a defining moment in the lives of others. Ask how God judges a defining moment, and what might have happened if you had not responded as you did to the challenge or decision before you.

Pick your character, share your story, and I promise that you will have an exciting and memorable Bible study.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment