Monday, October 18, 2021

Leadership Thought: Evangelism Takes Time: Are You Prepared To Do It.

Dear Friends,

I was fortunate to spend 5 years on the staff at Calvary Chapel, Old Bridge where my friend Lloyd Pulley is the senior pastor. During that time, I was blessed to read his wonderful book, Patient Evangelism. It was born out of his time witnessing to people in New York city following the bombing of the World Trade Center. 

Since I am preparing to lead a six-week course on personal evangelism, I decided to revisit this wonderful book and review some of the notes I had taken while reading it. It was a helpful reminder to me that evangelism is not always a onetime event, but it can be a process that takes place over a lengthy period of time. I may be one part of the evangelism process, but I may not be the one who sees the end result of that process. A conversion is a culmination of a journey, and journey's take time. Seeds that are planted don't sprout up overnight. You can't rush the process. Each seed has a certain timetable before its flower is produced. Think about your own life. How many people did God send into your life before you received Jesus?

Over the years I have had many opportunities to share my favorite witnessing tool, the 4 Spiritual Laws, with unbelievers. I have seen people immediately respond and come to Christ through this wonderful witnessing resource. But most of the people I know who have come to Jesus, have come over a period of time. One of my dearest friends came to faith in my office some 20 years ago, but it took many meetings over a six-month period before he responded to the claims of Jesus on his life. There were many conversations in my office and much time spent as we sat in the stands with one another while watching our sons compete at various wrestling tournaments. 

Often in our efforts to see someone saved, we feel we must give them the whole gospel, and when they don't immediately pray the sinner's prayer, we feel like we have failed. However, if we assume responsibility for the success of our evangelistic efforts, we assume something that is not ours's to assume. 

As believers we are called to be witnesses. Those were our Savior's marching orders. We are reminded in 1 Peter 3:15 that we are to always be prepared to give an account to everyone who asks us for the hope that we have within us, but we are never responsible for the person's decision. 

Campus Crusade for Christ (now Cru) has a wonderful definition for evangelism: "Evangelism is sharing Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit and leaving the results up to God." We are not the ones responsible for the person's salvation. We may deliver the message, but it is God who opens the door to a person's heart. When we understand this, we will never feel a sense of failure, regardless of a person's response to our message.

If you are in our area, I would encourage you to join us this Sunday, October 24th at 9:15 for a six-week study at the New Monmouth Baptist Church (corner of New Monmouth Road and Cherry Tree Farm Road) as together we learn how to more effectively share "the hope within us."

Yours in faith,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment