Monday, October 25, 2021

Leadership Thought: Words from My Grandson, Huckleberry, That I Will Never Forget.

Dear Friends

In a former denomination in which I pastored, I would close the worship service with what is called a benediction. A benediction is a blessing which is active and meant to work in the hearts of the people to whom it is spoken. "To speak well of, to bless," are two of the meanings Webster provides in his dictionary.

But benedictions should never be limited to only those sitting in the pews. I believe God calls us to be daily dispensers of benedictions. He wants us to be on the lookout to dispense benedictions, both written and spoken, to everyone around us.

Yesterday I received a surprise benediction from my grandson who attends St Lawrence University. He is on my group lists for daily devotionals, but his mom tells me he seldom ever checks his e-mails, so I never expected to receive an e-mail from him. Much to my surprise, however, an e-mail from him popped up on my screen containing a special benediction in which he thanked me for a recent Leadership Thought I wrote on hugging. "I am a hugger and I loved to be hugged, and I never miss an opportunity to hug others. Thanks Poppy for your message. Love Huck." Wow, I was so excited to read those words from my grandson that I ran into the bedroom to share the news with Jean. "Jean, guess who e-mailed me today," and then I told her the news.

I wrote back and said, "Huck", short for Huckleberry (how he got his name is a story for another day) "I wanted you to know how touched I was by your recent e-mail. And I thought to myself, you are part of the reason I get up early each morning and try to think of something encouraging to share with others. When I receive letters like Huck's, I am encouraged to keep writing. Just one short e-mail of thanks made my day. I told someone else who recently wrote me, "if you keep reading, I'll keep writing," and I meant it.

Just last night our "Life Group" took Jean and me out to a wonderful Thai restaurant, and during the meal one of the members of our group stood up and spoke a benediction to both Jean and me. It was brief, but those words will never be forgotten.  It was a simple 'benediction' expressing thanks and appreciation for our ministry.

Sometimes early in the morning when I can't think of anything to say, I am tempted to take a writing vacation, and then I think of Huck and others who are a part of my group list who have been such an encouragement, like my college roommate, "Butch,” who dropped me a note of encouragement this week.

As i write this message, I think of the apostle Paul's words to his friends in the Corinth church. "I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every way-in knowledge-because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you" (1 Corinthians 1:4-6). Paul was writing to them to thank them that the things he had taught them that were being lived out in their lives, and their actions clearly confirmed the truth and power of the gospel.

Last night I was touched by the brief words of one of my "Life Group" friends and remembering them this morning I thought of the words of Mother Teresa who said, "Kind words are short and easy to speak but their echoes are endless." 

Over the years, I have been so blessed by the spoken and written benedictions I have received from others, that I am continually on the lookout to pass similar benedictions on to others. Is there someone in your life who would be encouraged by a 'benediction'. If so, why not pick up the pen or the phone and become a "benedictor" (my word) and let them know they are loved and appreciated. Doing so will not only bless them but it will bless you a hundred-fold.

Blessed to be a blessing.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment