Monday, February 7, 2022

 

A Weekend ‘Un Spiritual’ Leadership Thought’ (Spoiler Alert, For Only Those Who Like Country Music)

Dear Friend?

What's your preferred list?  I mean what do you think about when you can’t sleep?  For me I like to think about my all-time favorite country songs. As you probably know from my past Leadership Thoughts, I am a great lover of country music, the classics from the 50’s through the 90’s. My selection never stays the same; it is always evolving, and tomorrow it will be different that it was at 3 am this morning.

As I lay awake unable to sleep, because I had too many things on my mind, I began thinking of my 20 favorite classic country songs. I know the list will change by tomorrow because a few of you vintage country listeners will remind me of a song I should have included, but for what it’s worth, and I know it’s not much, I suggest the following songs that came to my mind during the early morning hours. They are in no order of preference, but if I had to prioritize them the first couple would be He Stopped Loving Her Today, George Jones, and Sing Me Back Home, Merle Haggard

Here’s the rest:

You Don’t Even Know My Name, David Allen Coe

Bobby McGee, Kris Kristofferson

She Don’t Know She’s Beautiful, Sammy Kershaw

Cheyenne, George Strait

Looking for a Place to Fall Apart, Merle Haggard and Jane Fricke

Go Rest High on That Mountain, Vince Gill and Patty Lovelace

Gone Country, Alan Jackson

Everything That Glitters is Not Gold, Dan Seals

Please Come to Boston, David Allan Coe

Where Have You Been? Kathy Mattea (bring the tissues)

Chiseled in Stone, Vern Gosden,

Bring Them Flower Now, Tanya Tucker

Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers

I Should have Been a Cowboy, Toby Keith

Your My Best Friend, Don Williams

Big Girls Don’t Cry, Reba McEntire and Brooks and Dunn

Three Wooden Crosses, Randy Travis

Unfair Weather Friends, Merle Haggard and Willy Nelson

The Dance, Garth Brooks

When I Call Your Name, Keith Whitley

Keep it Between the Lines, Paul Overstreet

Trying to Get Over You, Vince Gill

Don’t Take the Girl, Tim McGraw

Pancho and Lefty, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson

Meet Me in Montana, Dan Seals …………………… and yes, I would have to slip in one contemporary ‘classic,’ Broken Halos, Chris Stapleton

I know I said 20 but who’s counting? When country music comes to mind, how can you limit yourself to just 20. In fact, as I pulled out a list from yesteryear I had over 70 songs, so please appreciate my brevity.

No, nothing spiritual on a Sunday morning, but if you can’t sleep and quoting bible verses won’t do, then try remembering some country classics, and I think you will be glad you did. And if you do, be sure and send me one or two of your favorites.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment