Thursday, February 10, 2022

 

Leadership Thought: You Say It Best When You Say Nothing at All.

Dear Friend

Many years ago, when I was fresh out of seminary and pastoring a small church outside of Syracuse, New York.  I received word of an accident that had taken place just up the street.  I was new to the area and did not know the family.

When I received the call, I immediately left our church and walked up the block to the site of the accident. I had been informed that a dad had been outside mowing his lawn when the blade of the mower struck a rock, became disengaged, and like a missile went hurtling through the air, tragically embedding itself in the skull of his four-month-old son.   

I confess my seminary training had not prepared me for this kind of visit. Words don’t always come easy when you’re faced with a tragedy like this. As I quickly made my way to the home, I thought to myself what am I going to say to this family?  You see in seminary we had been trained to know the right thing to say and do in particular situations, but now my mind was blank and any thoughts about what I would say escaped me.

As I arrived on the scene, I saw police cars and the flashing red lights of an ambulance which had just arrived. They were loading the tiny child into the ambulance, and I was informed that he was dead.

I saw the dad whom I had never met, and I walked up to him not knowing what, if anything I could say to him. I remember looking him straight in the eye, and without saying a word, I just wrapped my arms around him and hugged him. Together we stood there embracing as we tasted the salt in one another's tears.

I don't remember saying a thing, but my embrace and my tears communicated a message far more powerful than any sermon I could ever preach.

A few days after the funeral, he called me and told me how much he appreciated all I had done. I couldn’t imagine what it was that I had done that was so deserving of appreciation.  I hardly spoke a word for I knew nothing to say, and yet he thanked me for my ministry.

I told him thanks, as I told him that I didn’t feel I had done very much, and he said, “Oh yes you did. “You held me and cried with me, and that meant more than anything you could have ever said or done.”

That day I discovered the value of touch, and I learned the meaning of those well-known lyrics sung by Allison Krause who sings “You say it best when you say nothing at all.”

That was one of the greatest learning experiences of my life. It was reassuring to discover that one doesn’t always have to possess the right words to help someone who is hurting. At times like this there is no need to deliver theological platitudes for such words are often devoid of any power to heal a broken heart.  All that one needs are a couple of arms and a few tears from a caring heart that feels the pain of another’s loss.

What do you say at a time like this? Nothing, for what I learned that day was that “you say it best when you say nothing at all.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment