Saturday, March 25, 2023

Leadership Thought: What I've Learned on My Journey Through Grief.

Dear Friends,

Most things in life that are best learned are experienced outside the classroom. Who would want to go up in a plane with a pilot who had completed reading a manual on flying but never had actually flown a plane. The same is true for those who have gone through the experience of grief. You can read all about how to handle grief, but until you have experienced its devastating consequences, I doubt one can fully understand or appreciate its impact.

In dealing with grief personally after the loss of my precious wife, Jean, I am learning some lessons that hopefully will be of value to others who are, or who will someday be going through it.

Let me acknowledge I am no expert on the subject, far from it. I am daily learning about it as I walk through my own experience with it, and so what I share about grief is based more on my own personal experience and my conversations with others than it is on what I have learned through reading about it. 

In talking about grief, I acknowledge personal experience may be the best teacher 

I know everyone is different and so not everyone will experience grief in the same way, but there are some general guidelines that are important to keep in mind when personally dealing with it or helping others who are dealing with it.

1. You can't rush it. Everyone's time table will be different, so don't be surprised if it takes some people longer than others to work through it. Be patient with those going through it, and let them go through it at their own pace. Grief is one thing you can't hurry.

2. It is helpful to have caring and understanding people around as you go through it. One of the most helpful thing for me has been having friends in the church stop by or regularly call to check in to see how I am doing. Knowing that someone loves and cares for you and is praying for you has been invaluable to me as I work through my sadness. One of the reasons I recently traveled to Florida was to be with friends and family who I knew would be there to support and encourage me. The constant consistent concern of those who care about you can help immeasurably as one goes through their period of grieving

3. Be present with the one who grieves. As my family and I were together with Jean during the last two weeks of her life, we were fortunate to have several friends who were constantly present with us. Often times they would say nothing, but their presence was comforting and reassuring. Sometimes as the popular song says, "You say it best when you say nothing at all." Thanks Teddie, Dan, Harriett and others whose presence supported me and our family through the difficult times of our grieving. 

4.  Be a good listener Allow the griever to share his/her pain and communicate you are happy to listen without judgement and without an agenda. This is not the time to share unsolicited advice on what they should do or how they should feel. No one wants to hear sermons when they are grieving. Don't say you know how they feel or what they are experiencing for you don't.

5. Be proactive. Often those grieving are reluctant to ask for help or express their needs. Look for little, practical things you can do to help-making calls, tidying up the room, providing meals, or buying groceries-are all helpful ways to relieve the one who is grieving.

6. Encourage the one grieving to talk about the person they have lost. It may feel uncomfortable to do so, but the griever often finds it helpful to share experiences and memories of the one who has passed. 

7. Stay connected. Grievers often receive a lot of support the first few months after a loss, but it is essential that you stay connected, and that you check in with them months down the road. Long term care is important for the one who is grieving and knowing that there are people who will continue to support and care for them is an important part of the recovery process.

8. Assure the one grieving that it is alright and normal to cry and express their emotions. I find myself susceptible to sudden and unexpected bouts of grief when I will break down and cry uncontrollably. Assure the griever you are comfortable in the presence of his/her tears. 

Good Grief, by Granger Westberg, is a short but classic book on grief that I would recommend to anyone wanting to know more about the subject of grief. Granger writes "One of the great faults of intellectual Protestantism is that it has tended to stifle emotion. The Sunday services have more resembled a lecture series than a worship experience. We must not and need not apologize for emotions in our religious experience, nor need we apologize for it in our grief. (pp. 22-23) I know who my close friends are. They are the ones I can cry with and not be embarrassed or feel uncomfortable doing so.

While in Florida I visited a friend who had recently lost her husband after a three year battle with  brain cancer. She sent me the following quote: "Grief, I've learned, is really just love. It is all the love you want to give, but cannot. All the unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in the hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go."  James Anderson. 

Hopefully those of us who have the opportunity to deal with those who grieve can help our grieving friends find a place for their love to go.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment