Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Leadership Thought: An Umpire Who Seeks to Pay it Forward.

Dear Friends,

No one achieves success on their own. As the saying goes, “If you ever see a turtle on a fence post, you know they had help getting there.” Every successful person can always point to someone who has impacted and influenced their life and helped them get to where they presently are today.

I am a great believer in looking for ways to add value to other people, because I have had so many people add value to me.

I have been umpiring high school baseball for over 30 years, and I love working with new and aspiring umpires. I remember how much I was helped by those who mentored me during those early years when I was starting out, and now I have the opportunity to help others through our umpiring mentoring program that pairs up veteran umpires with those who are just beginning. It is my chance to ‘pay it forward’ by helping and encouraging others who are learning how to umpire.

In Acts 20:35 the Apostle Paul conveys the biblical principle that giving is better than receiving. That principle is still true today. Whether it has to do with the giving of our financial resources or the giving of our time or our abilities, we ourselves benefit by giving to others.

Every leader becomes better when they commit to sharing and helping others. Such an attitude is pleasing to God. Remember, the Lord “Loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Corinthians 9:6-7

Legendary basketball coach John Wooden often said, “Don’t tell me what you’re going to do- Show me.”

Today, let’s be on the lookout for ways we can add value to others, and then take action to follow through and do it. As you go through your day, maintain an outward focus while asking God to show you something you can do to benefit or encourage someone else. Write a letter, make a phone call, pay a visit, bake some cookies, bring some donuts to a meeting, buy someone’s lunch. The list is endless. It just takes some intentionality and a little effort.

And then at the end of the day, ask yourself one question: “Did I add value to someone today?”

Significance begins with you, but it is meant to be shared.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment