Friday, May 14, 2021

Leadership Thought: The Day I Offered Last Rites to a Dying Friend.

Dear Friends

Yesterday I did something that I had never done before. I offered last rites to a 93-year-old dying man. But Tom,  I thought that the service of last rites was something that only Roman Catholics practiced. Well, that might be true, but I figured with a little improvisation, I could  be an adequate ‘stand in.’

Our church secretary had relayed the message to me that a woman had called the church and wondered if one of our pastors could offer last rites to her 93-year-old dying father. My first thought was why is she calling a Protestant church and not a Catholic priest to perform this spiritual ministry?

I returned the woman’s call, and to my surprise the woman asked me if I would come over to her house and  offer last rites to her dad. I explained that this was something a bit foreign to a Protestant pastor, but if she was OK with it, I would be happy to accommodate her wishes.

I sat with the family and listened as they shared their loving remembrances of their father, and grandfather, and  I was touched by their love for him and the quality of care they had been providing him over the last three months . After a time of listening to their stories, I  entered  the bedroom  where Andrew man was lying, and I  spoke a few words to  him. Andrew was unable to communicate and was heavily sedated. I talked to him about how one through faith in Jesus could possess the promise of eternal life, I then read some Scriptures,  anointed him with oil, prayed over him, and left. Maybe I had been there  ten minutes at the most, but when I walked out of his room, I felt like God had purposely called me for such a special time as this. I spent a little more time with the family, offered a prayer for them, and left.

I was grateful that I had the chance to do something I had never done before, and even though the service I performed was probably much different from the service performed by a Roman Catholic priest, I felt like God had used me to bless a family in their time of need.

There are times when God takes us out of our comfort zones to do something that is not normal or natural for us. I could have called a Roman Catholic friend and asked if he would perform the service, but I am glad I didn’t, for I will never forget the wonderful feeling I experienced in being used to bring a measure of peace to a family in their time of need.

Ministry opportunities can sometimes surprise us. We may feel totally unprepared and inadequate to address them. But if we will simply trust in the Holy Spirit to guide and direct us, God will use us in ways beyond our fondest dreams.

The next time you are in a situation where you recognize a need for ministry, don’t look for a “professional prayer,” but realize that maybe God has called you to be the “stand in.” You are the minister, and while you may feel imperfect and inadequate and completely unprepared for the mission, God will provide you the words and the wisdom to fulfill the task.

You don’t have to be a pastor, a missionary, or a super-spiritual star. All you have to do is possess a heart for God and a willingness to get outside your comfort zone. And when you do, you will be surprised how God will use you.

Proverbs 3:5-6 reminds us to “trust in the Lord with all our heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make straight your paths.” That a promise you can hold on to, even when, like me,  you feel unprepared and inadequate.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment