Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Leadership Thought: Your Work Reveals Your Character.

Dear Friends,

It has been  said that every job is a self-portrait of the person who performed it. It is true that our work is a clear reflection of our character. What kind of workers are we? If we could ever drop in on our employer’s conversation with a colleague, would we be flattered or embarrassed by what we heard as they talked about us?

This makes me think of a story I read  about a young man who rushed into a service station and asked the manager if he had a pay phone. The manager nodded and pointed to a nearby phone. The boy called a number and waited for an answer. When the call was answered, the boy said in a deep voice,  “Sir, could you use an honest, hardworking young man to work for you?” 

The station manager couldn't help overhearing the question. After a moment or two the boy said, “Oh, you already have an honest, hardworking young man? Well, OK. Thanks just the same.” With a broad smile stretched across his face, he hung up the phone and started back to his car, humming, and obviously elated by what he heard.

“Hey, just a minute,” the station manager called after him. “I couldn't help but hear your conversation. Why are you so happy? I thought the guy said he already had somebody and didn't need you.” 

The young man smiled, Well, you see, I am that honest, hardworking young man, and I was just checking up on my job!” 

We are employees working for the King of Kings, and because of this our work should reflect His character. Whatever we do, we should seek to do it the best we can. Good workers don't take shortcuts. They don’t cut corners. If they say they are going to do something, you can be sure that it will be done. They always autograph their work with excellence.

I taught a high school class on leadership many years ago, and ringing in my mind was a question I often asked of my students to impress upon them the importance of doing their best and never cutting corners. I would ask them, “Did you paint the back door as well as the front door?" 

I know there have been times in my life when I have done less than my best, and when my answer would have been no to the question I asked. But when this happens, I am often convicted of a verse  I have memorized and which I often use in closing out my personal letters. It is Colossians 3:23-24: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

And by the way, did you know that the extra mile is the only stretch of the highway where there are never any traffic jams?”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment