Monday, October 3, 2022

Leadership Thought: Are You Spiritual Drifting Through Covid? The Answer is Easy.

Dear Friends,

I have a question for you this morning. The question is have you drifted spiritually during Covid? 

A lot of changes have happened during Covid. Those who have always commuted to their workplace have discovered the comfort of working from home and for many this has been a good thing. We have enjoyed the comfort and convenience that comes from working from home. No long traffic jams, no need to get dressed up, more flexibility with our schedules have  all been welcome changes for many.

Covid has made some real changes in how we do church as well. Those in the church have discovered we can worship from home in in the comfort of our living room, while sipping coffee in the comfort of our pajamas while watching worship services at home and at our leisure.

And while church consultants tell us that 50 percent of those under 50 prefer to stay at home worship as opposed to in person worship, I really wonder if these people are better off spiritually than they were before the Pandemic.

I am not opposed to increasing our efforts to reach people online. I believe the church needs to do everything it can to improve this medium of worship. There are people in the world who might never choose to step inside a church who we now might reach through the streaming of our services, so I agree that there are certainly some spiritual positives to online worship.

But as a believer, one of the hardest things for me during these Covid times has been that I have missed seeing and personally engaging with so many of the friends I have made in church. I miss the warm embrace of my brothers or sisters. I miss the interaction with those who challenge me and hold me accountable for my actions and beliefs. I miss the little children playing and running around in the worship center, and I fear that the "convenience" of Christianity will have a significant impact on the future church

The church has always grown the fastest during times of persecution, not during times of ease. That is why in places like China and Iran and other countries in the Moslem world, the church is growing at a far more rapid rate than here at home. In spite of growing persecution and hostility the church continues to grow in these lands. As it was said of the early church, "The blood of the martyrs was the seed of the church." 

The lack of accountability that people experience while isolated and sitting at home and watching services can be dangerous.

I fear that if given the choice of doing what we want and like  and doing what we need, most people will choose to do what they want and like and not what they need. Convenience and comfort most always will trump discipline and intentionality, and the result can lead to spiritual drifting.

In a controversial article on this very  subject, Peter Chin was quoted as writing, “by nature Christianity is inconvenient. Convenience is ingrained in the American life. But it has no place in the life of faith.  Convenience is nothing less than a heresy that runs contrary to some of the most fundamental aspects of what it means to be a follower of Christ" (Quoted from "No Such Thing as Convenient Christianity" Doug Ponder, Dec 12, 2014).

Now I would not go so far as to call convenience a heresy, but it is hard for me to reconcile convenience with the ministry of the Apostle Paul who writes  "And now, compelled by the spirit, I'm going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prisons and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me- the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace" (Acts 20:22-24 NIV").

For me the only answer to the question of whether my Christianity is too convenient is whether I am a more mature and stronger Christian since staying home. 

Yours in faith,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment