Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Leadership Thought: Music That Has Changed My Heart and Soul, or Let's Go 'Dancin' to the Boot Scootin’ Boggie.

Dear Friend

Just yesterday in church, one of our members and I wound up talking about the recent death of country legend Lorretta Lynn. Our conversation led to a time of sharing about the roots of country music, and how this music, full of life’s stories, had  touched our hearts.

He mentioned one of his favorite singers, Jim Reeves, and I immediately responded. “He'll Have to Go,” and then be brought up George Jones, and I mentioned “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” considered by many the greatest country song of all time.

Country music, or I should say classic country music, has been the music staple of my life. It started in the 50’s with Hank Williams,’ “Kawliga” and Roy Acuff’s “The Great Speckled Bird,” songs that probably many of you have never heard.

My conversation with my friend, got me thinking about some of my favorite classic country songs. I tried to come up with my top 25 but as soon as I had finished, I immediately thought of a dozen more that I could have added to my list.

I suspect if you take a listen to some of those songs I listed below, you could, become like me, a classic country music junkie. Even you Sinatra fans or Guy Lombardo kind of people may be won over, so take a listen. I think you will be glad you did.

The below songs are in no order:

  • Don’t Take the Girl, Tim McGraw
  • You Don’t Even Know My Name, David Allan Coe
  • Should Have Been a Cowboy, Toby Keith
  • He Stopped Loving Her Today, George Jones
  • Unfair Weather Friends, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson
  • Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?, Alan Jackson
  • You Say It Best When You Say Nothing at All, Keith Whitely or Allison Krause
  • Cheyenne, George Strait
  • Amarillo by Morning, George Strait
  • The Dance, Garth Brooks
  • Gone County, Alan Jackson
  • All That Glitters is Not Gold, Dan Seals
  • Making Believe,  Kitty Wells or Emmylou Harris
  • Remember When, Alan Jackson
  • Few Old Country Boys Like Me, George Jones and Randy Travis
  • I Am Going be Somebody Someday, Travis Tritt
  • Kiss an Angel Good Morning, Charlie Pride
  • Take Me Home Country Road, John Denver
  • Wagon Wheel,  Darious Rucker
  • Meet me in Montana, Dan Seals and Marie Osmond or Lefty Frizell and Dottie West
  • Pancho and Lefty, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson
  • Chiseled in Stone, Vern Gosden
  • Your My Best Friend, Don Williams
  • Sing Me Back Home, Merle Haggard
  • Convoy,  C. W. McCall (a tearjerker)

Some extras for country laughter,

  • The Winner, and Marie Leveau, both by Bobby Bare

As I completed this list, I wondered how I could have left off Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers; Love Can Build a Bridge, The Judds; Bring them Flowers Now, Tanya Tucker; Traveling Soldier, the Chicks; and on the list goes.

It is hard to narrow down such a list, and if you are a classic country enthusiast you will understand.

No, not much spiritual this morning-just some music that has spoken to my heart over the years.

But then again, there are some great classic country gospel songs out there by country legends as well:

  • How Great Thou Art, Carrie Underwood,
  • Three Wooden Crosses, Randy Travis,
  • The Long Black Train, Josh Turner,
  • Why Me, Kris Kristofferson,
  • Unanswered Prayers, Garth Brooks,
  • Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Carter Family,
  •  I Saw the Light, Hank Williams,
  • The Old Rugged Cross, Alan Jackson.
  • Go Rest High on That Mountain, Vince Gill and Patty Loveless, duet at George Jones funeral

Well, I hope this give you an introduction to some of the best of the country classics. So, buckle up your belt, put on them boots, and let’s go a ‘dancin’ to The Boot Scootin’ Boogie by Brooks and Dunn

I’d love to hear from you some of those songs that have touched your heart and soul.

Have a great day in Jesus,

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment