Thursday, December 8, 2022

Leadership Thought: How to Save More to Give More and Still Have More Left to Tithe.

Dear Friend,

This isn’t one of those slick 'insta mercials' where someone promises you something too good to be true.

It’s a personal testimony from a pastor who a number of years ago  discovered how to save 20 to 40 percent of his income while recovering as much as an hour a week of discretionary time.

Here's how I did it yesterday. I walked into the grocery store and purchased some mangos, my favorite fruit, for $.45 each. I then picked up a pint of ice cream that rivals Ben and Jerry's for under $3.00, 6 cinnamon raisin bagels for $1.99, a huge chocolate bar-much bigger than Hersey's, and I might add much better, for $1.39,  a pint of raspberries for $1.89, chicken broth for $1.45, a pound and a half of thick slab peppercorn bacon for $5.99, and spaghetti meat sauce, one of my favorites, for just $1.39.

I do confess to splurging a bit as I also spent $ 4.69 for some beef jerky dog treats that looked good enough to eat myself. I am sure my little canine friend, 'Maggie,' was thinking, "These are the best treats I have ever tasted."

Having made my purchases, I then proudly walked out to my car carrying a giant blue shopping bag stuffed with food and emblazoned with the word "Aldi's” on it. 

Yes, I am a member of 'Aldi's Army,' comprised of a growing number of people who have become tired of grocery "sticker shock." 

I shop at Aldi's, which for the last five years in a row, has been voted the least expensive store in the country to buy groceries. I not only save as much as 40% off my weekly grocery bill, but I probably save an hour a week of discretionary time not having to traverse long aisles lined with shelves stocked with multiple brands of items I will never purchase. 

No time wasted on having to do comparison shopping-I select the best of one brand- and I am on my way. All this makes shopping a breeze-a lot cheaper, easier and quicker that any grocery shopper could imagine. 

Oh, it does cost me a quarter to use an Aldi' shopping cart, but I have the opportunity to get a refund when I return my cart, or better yet, I can pay it forward, and make a new friend when I smile and freely offer my cart to a surprised and thankful oncoming shopper. 

Now I feel sorry for those receiving this Leadership Thought who don't yet have an Aldi's in your area, but I hope it won't be long before you see that big Aldi's sign in your neighborhood, and you can save like I do.

Yes, I write this a bit tongue and cheek, but I do so with the hope that you might give Aldi's a try. I promise that you will find top quality items-as good as any of the well-known store brands, yet at remarkable savings.

Aldi's may not be a shopping experience for everybody, but for me it is one of the best hours of my week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"You might be thinking: "Not much spiritual in your message today."  But that is not true. If you want to be a better steward and money manager as I encouraged you to be in yesterday's message on giving, shopping at Aldi's is your solution. 

If you have been struggling with the thought of tithing, shopping at Aldi's is an easy way to save enough to have enough to give at least 10% of your weekly income to your church or favorite charity, while still having as much as 30% left over to spend on this year's Christmas shopping.

Now for those of you who are biblical exegetes, I don't suggest this is what Jesus meant spiritually when He said. "We are to be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves," but it's still plenty true practically.😊

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. Let me know if, or when you shop at Aldi's,  and how you found your experience. Trust me, I receive no "royalties," from your shopping, but I do enjoy the satisfaction that comes from knowing I helped you save money that hopefully will be used to bless God's kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment