Thursday, December 15, 2022

Leadership Thought: Watch Out for That "Energy Vampire."

Dear Friends,

I find it difficult and challenging to be around negative people, the kind of people who writer Jon Gordon calls EV's (Energy Vampires). They are negative people who sap your energy and steal your enthusiasm. They generally are good at fomenting discontent, and seldom have anything positive to say about anyone or anything. No one like to be around these "Debby Downers" or "The Sky Is Falling" kind of people.

Throughout my career as a teacher, coach and pastor, I have done my best to create conditions where people are encouraged, uplifted, and where a positive spirit characterizes the environment. I don't tolerate negativity. 

Maybe that is why one of the first verses I memorized as a new believer was Paul's  admonition: "Don't let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit all who listen.” Ephesians 4:29 

Author and speaker, John Gordon relates how one coach sought to eliminate a negative environment from his locker room. The coach had an artist draw a huge picture of an energy vampire on the wall of their team meeting room. Any time a player was being an EV, they put the player’s picture on the wall. No one wanted  his picture on that wall. In essence, the coach was telling the team that he will not allow negativity to sabotage their team or their team's goals .

That is one way to quell negativity.

Now this method might work in the locker room, but I am not sure it is a strategy I would advocate for a church or a business.

When I was growing up, I had a teacher who would remind her class to  always ask three questions when sharing information with others: "Is what you are about to say, kind, true and helpful?"

Our conversations would be a lot more encouraging, uplifting, and beneficial if we followed my teacher's advice.

Solomon says, "Kind words are like a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones"  (Pro. 16:24).

Solomon reminds us, "A person's words can be life-giving water: words of true wisdom are as refreshing as a bubbling brook" (Proverbs 18:4),

Mother Teresa was fond of saying, "Kind words are short and easy to speak but their echoes are endless." 

How grateful I am for the kind and positive words that have been spoken into my life by parents, teachers, coaches and good friends, words that have been the wind beneath my wings and not the anchor in my boat.

Today, would you ask God to reveal to you if you have been guilty of ever being an "Energy Vampire," and if so, would you ask Him to help you sweeten your speech. 

Why not begin your day by praying that the Lord would lead you to someone today who needs a life-giving positive push. Just a thought!

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom 

No comments:

Post a Comment