Thursday, January 12, 2023

Leadership Thought: A Message for Those Wishing to Unsubscribe to Leadership Thoughts.

Dear Friend,

One of my favorite quotes is by Isaac Newton, "Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.

What made me think of this was an e-mail I received yesterday asking to be taken off my Leadership Thought mailing list.

My friend was honest and tactful. His message didn’t scream,  “Take me off your mailing list, I don’t need any more junk to read as I already have too many unwanted e-mails taking up space on my computer screen.”

No, my friend was kind and thoughtful, and his closing words caught my attention. “I am not looking for another devotional. I already get too many of them, but I am always open to chat with a brother in Christ.”.

I hope my response to him was gracious and tactful and I made every effort for it to be so. I thanked him for his honesty, and I told him I completely understood, for I often feel the same way about unwanted email that screams for my attention.

I closed by giving him my phone number and told him “I was always open to chat with a brother in Christ,” and I hoped he might feel free to call me any time.

My Leadership Thought mailing list has substantially grown over the years, and I have no way of knowing how many of you immediately click the delete button each morning when the words “Leadership Thought” pop up on your screen.

If this is you, I apologize. Most of us are already too busy to be bothered by unwanted e-mails., so please help me update my mailing list by simply asking to be “unsubscribed.” Trust me, you won’t be the first to make such a request.

Paul reminds us we are “to speak the truth in love” (Eph. 4:15), something my unsubscribing friend did so very well.

So, in all of our communication, let us be conditioned to “speak the truth in love.” We already have too many cancel culture communicators who may know the truth but who lack the relational ability to combine that truth with love.  Both are needed.

And like I shared with my unsubscribing friend, if you would rather chat about truth rather than read about it, please send me your phone number and I’ll be glad to give you a call.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment