Monday, January 30, 2023

Leadership Thought: Thoughts on the One Who Is the Love of My Life.

Dear Friends,

As many of you know the greatest treasure, I possess is now lying in a hospital bed in the upstairs bedroom of our  home. 

For the first time in 54 years of marriage we are now sleeping in separate beds as her 7 year battle with Parkinson has entered a new stage, one which has stripped her of her independence and stolen the energy and vitality that once made her the most popular girl in her high school senior class.

Yesterday was an emotional day for me. Earlier in the day, I collapsed in tears as I tried to wake her from 11 hours of sleep. Getting no response to my efforts, I panicked and in desperation called Hospice for help. Fortunately, by the time they arrived, Jean had opened her eyes and wanted to know why I was crying. 

Through my tears, I blurted out "I thought I was losing you and I am not ready to let you go."

As my daughter and I stood beside her bed last night, I prayed that God would miraculously cure this debilitating disease. But if He chooses not to heal her, would He at least slow down the progression to give us as much time as possible to laugh and love together.

Hopefully Jean will have months and even years ahead of her, but when the time comes for God to call her home she is ready and prepared for the journey. In fact she has assured me that she is looking forward to the trip to heaven where she knows there will be no more earthly pain.

Yes she is ready, but the problem is that I and my children are not prepared to let her go.

There is a poignant song by one of my favorite female country artists, Patty Loveless titled “How Can I Help You Say Goodbye.”

"How can I help you say goodbye? 

It’s OK to hurt, and it’s OK to cry

Come, Let me hold you and I will try.

How can I help you to say goodbye?" 

It is never easy to say goodbye to the ones we love and it was not easy for Jesus who conquered death itself

We see him shedding tears of sorrow as He stands beside the grave of his good friend Lazarus. His tears were real, genuine and heartfelt and because they were we can be certain that He knows and understands the same pain we are going through as we confront the loss of our loved ones.. 

"Jesus promises that "There are many homes up there where my Father lives, and I am going to prepare them for your coming. When everything is ready, then I will come and get you., so that you can always be with me where I am. If this weren't so, I would tell you plainly. And you know where I'm going and how to get there."

"No, we don't, said Thomas. We haven't any idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?"  

"Jesus told him, I am the way- yes, and the truth and the life. No one can get to the Father except by means of me" (John 14:1-6.TLB).

Letting go of loved one is one of the hardest things we will ever have to do, but it is made easier when we know where our loved ones are going, for as Thomas Moore has written. "Earth has no sorrows that heaven cannot heal.".

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment