Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Leadership Thought. : A Foot Washing Service in a Church I Served That I Will Never Forget. 

Dear Friends, 

Yesterday, I shared a message on servanthood and the 'Taylor Towel' my daughter, Rachel, received upon her college graduation from Taylor University. It was meant to be a reminder to her and all other graduating Taylor University students that they were being sent into the world to be servants of the Master Teacher of Servanthood, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

In the message I shared how humbling it was to bow down before someone and wash their feet. And yet that is just what Jesus calls us to do. We are to be humble foot washers, serving all we can with the same spirit He showed His disciples. 

I received a response to my message from a former member of a church I served in New Jersey. He reminded me of a time when I took the leaders of our church into the sanctuary after a particularly heated meeting and led them in a foot washing service. 

I didn't recall much about the service, except for remembering how humbling and difficult it was for me to have my feet washed by another brother. 

It is generally easier for most of us 'minister types' to wash others' feet than to have our own feet washed. Most of us are much more comfortable giving ministry then receiving it, which is unfortunate for some of the greatest blessings we can bestow on others is graciously and thankfully receiving their gifts. 

And by the way, my friend reminded me that it was his “stinken” feet that I had washed, and how he would never forget this foot washing experience.

Only hours from the cross, Jesus gives his disciples a foot washing lesson they too would never forget.

He doesn’t teach them to be more zealous or dedicated or more committed. No, he gives them one of the greatest examples of love the world has ever seen by simply bowing down before each of them and washing their feet.

Jesus didn’t make a big deal of what He was about to do.  He didn’t stand up and draw attention to Himself. He didn’t say now watch me and take notes for you are going to learn a significant lesson about love in action.  No, he simply and quietly knelt down before each of those disciples and began washing their feet.

Jon Courson says it far better than I could when he shares the following application to this event.

“In our culture, not everyone wears sandals or goes barefoot. And even if they did, the roads aren’t dusty or muddy-so this passage might not mean (literally) washing feet.”

“You’re washing your car in the front yard. Maybe it’s old and cruddy and doesn’t run very well. Instead of complaining about it-. why not extend your hose a bit and wash your neighbor’s car?”

“Or maybe it means washing your neighbor’s windows while he’s on vacation.”

“It might mean washing diapers in the nursery- or washing the dishes without being asked.”

“’That sounds good’, you say’.  ‘But I’m going through such hard times right now that I’m not in a position to wash anything.’”  

“Really? At any given point, at every single point in our lives, we live by ‘Basin Theology.’ That is, we either call for the basin, like Pontius Pilot did, (Matthew 27: 24) and wash our hands of everything we know to be true of ministry and service- or we  take up the basin and wash someone’s feet in humility and love.”

“At a time when Jesus was going through a time of intensity we will never understand this side of eternity, He didn’t wash His hands of those who would deny and betray him. He washed their feet.” Jon Courson Application Bible Commentary of the New Testament, p 554

And then He said to those disciples, even as He also says to us: “I have given you an example, Go and do likewise.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment