Monday, January 30, 2023

Leadership Thought: A Non Devotional on the Ways That Friends Can Minister to You in the Midst of Your Sorrow.

Dear Friends,

Did you ever finish an e-mail, click send, only to wish you could immediately retrieve what you sent? That's the way I felt last Friday after sending an update on Jean’s health condition. I never would want my Leadership Thoughts to be about me or my family, and I was embarrassed and very uncomfortable after sharing the message I did.

But the response to that e-mail on Jean’s health was so overwhelming that I felt the need to provide a follow up.

I started to respond to those calls and e-mails from so many of our friends-friends and loved ones from so many of the churches Jean and I have served over the years, but it simply became overwhelming and with limited time due to her needed care, and frequent visits of nurses, and friends, I gave up.

I can’t begin to tell you how overwhelmed I was by the outpouring of your love, and when I woke up this morning, I felt like I had to write and say "thank you," "thank you," "thank you" for your care and concern for Jean and me. Yes, again I say thanks from the bottom of my heart.

It is one thing to comfort and encourage those going through a health crises; it is another thing to be on the receiving end, but in doing so I have again been personally reminded of just how and therapeutic such love can be.

Yesterday a dear friend from Fort Lauderdale called. She is the kind of person who would  take the time to saran wrap your wife's car, and then secretly move it to the senior pastor’s preferred parking space. My poor wife spent hours searching for that car which she knew she had left in her regular parking spot.

Yes, Margie was that friend and she called yesterday and then sent "pirate" pictures of the time Jean and some of her friends dressed up as pirates, and drove again and again to the Crispy Creme window, each time securing free doughnuts that were offered that day to anyone dressed up as a pirate.

We laughed and laughed at some of the capers a trio of Jean and her friends were involved in while we served at Calvary Chapel, Fort Lauderdale.

As we closed our conversation, Margie knowing that we were planning to try and take Jean to Outback, reminded us to make sure someone takes a purse big enough to "stuff away all that delicious brown bread they provide with  dinner." 

I can personally attest to the fact that laughter and love have significant therapeutic value to the one who is going through a difficult time.

I have cried far too much in the last few days, but the best remedy I've discovered to dry my tears is to remember the love and laughter I have shared with so many of our friends who have taken the time to call or write.

I am reminded of the Psalmist who wrote, "Those who go out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, carrying their sheaves" (Psalm 126: 6TLB).

God has the incredible capacity for restoring life beyond our understanding. He can sow seeds of sadness  and from them produce a harvest of joy. When burdened by sorrow, we can be assured that even our times of greatest grief will end, and we will once again find joy. 

I won't ever divulge whether we followed Margie's procedures for 'bread larceny' but I can tell you that when I and my three daughters wheeled Jean out of Outback yesterday, we all had  smiles on our faces, for what greater joy could anyone experience than the joy of being with those you love, sharing stories of life and laugher, and knowing that, in spite of your pain, God is still in control and that one day He will wipe away every one of our tears.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom 

P.S. "A teardrop on earth summons the King of heaven." Charles Swindoll.

No comments:

Post a Comment