Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Leadership Thought: A Pastor's Passion to Grow and How He Seeks to Do It

Dear Friends,

John Maxwell teaches that "You will never change your life until you change what you do daily."

As a pastor and as a leader, I am always trying to change and improve myself on a daily basis. I spend time studying the Bible in order to  learn how I can be a more effective witness to others. 

Today I possess a greater passion than ever before to know my Savior better and to live for Him and to tell others about Him.

Besides my commitment to daily study the Word of God, I have also made a commitment to improve my leadership skills in an effort to become the best leader I can be. I am intentional about daily developing my biblical and leadership skills.

It has been said that nobody goes uphill by accident, and I know if I want to improve in any area of my life, I must make an intentional decision to grow, and so I am always eager to learn truth and skills that will improve the quality of my life and witness.

Each day besides studying the Bible, I try to learn principles of leadership that will increase my influence and ability to impact others in  positive ways.

My bottom line is trying to do whatever I can to be the best version of myself I can be.

I am not content to simply coast through life, so I am trying to be faithful and diligent to use all of the natural and spiritual gifts God has given me.

As I watch the sands of time slowly pass through my life's hourglass, I want to maximize the value of my life by being faithful in fulfilling my call to serve Him, and I hope you do too.

With a host of commentaries and sermons by my side, I'm daily seeking to learn valuable spiritual truth from our brother Peter as I study his two letters to the early church. 

I am going slow-it has already been three weeks, and I am only half way through my study, but the time I've spent has been enormously encouraging as I seek to learn and live out the lessons he taught those first believers whom he exhorts "to grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Lord (2 Peter 3:18). 

While studying the Bible each day for spiritual truth, I am also devoting my time to learning and applying leadership truth. 

"Leadership is nothing more than influence," so whether we like it or not each one of us is a leader. Some of us, because of our positive influence are good leaders, but some of us because of our negative influence are poor leaders. As followers of Christ, each of us should want to improve our leadership skills as practiced in our homes, schools, work and church. 

I have found very valuable leadership lessons in the writing of leadership expert John Maxwell. John has written over 100 books and is recognized as the world's leading expert on leadership. He has written more words on leadership than any person who has ever lived. But John is not just a leadership writer and speaker; he is a Christian leadership writer and speaker, and his faith bleeds through the pages and principles of the leadership lessons he teaches. 

I follow John's teaching because he takes leadership principles that are deep and complex and makes them simple and easy to understand and implement. I read his books and listen to his podcasts as I walk my dog, and just yesterday I listened to the podcast-link below-on "How to Change the World and Transform Your Life." I hope you will take a listen and let me know what you think. 

All of this leads me to ask you how are you growing?  What are you doing to improve yourself and your witness? Are you a little  different today than your were yesterday?

Remember, "If you are green, you’re growing, but if you're ripe you rot." God wants green and growing fruit in our lives.

I remind you as John Maxwell teachers: "everything worthwhile is uphill." If you are going to grow, you must be willing to change the things you do daily.

There is no such thing as 'accidental achievement.' If you want to grow and develop spiritually, relationally, professionally or athletically, you must make changes in the way you spend your time. Your daily agenda must change.

I share this information with you, not because there is anything special about my strategy for growth, but because it is a simple plan you might wish to try if you are serious about increasing your impact and influence as a believer.

In closing, I remind you of the importance of changing good intentions into good actions because the biggest gap in the world is between the words,  "I should" and "I did."

Keep learning and keep growing my friends and let me know how you are doing.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S.I encourage you to click on the link below and take a listen to the message. I can promise you that you will be glad you did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPprex3811E

No comments:

Post a Comment