Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Leadership Thought: For Those Who Hate Singing, Dancing and Lifting Your Hands in Church.

Dear Friends,

I love Sunday mornings. It is a chance to come together and sing, and worship, and pray, and fellowship with other believers. And this Sunday was particularly special for me as we sang a worship song that always lifts my heart, causes me to raise my hands and yes, even moves  my feet to dancing like I might do in one of those good old a Pentecostal Churches. I did a little of that yesterday, probably much to the surprise of many who were sitting behind me, and  who were probably wondering what had happened to  that 79-year-old white haired pastor.

Raise a Halleluiah was written in a time of impending tragedy. The writer, Jonathan Helser felt inspired to write it at the time when a little child in the church was close to going home to the Lord. Sorrow and sadness had enveloped the church as the news of the little boy’s situation quickly traveled through the pews.

It was then that Randy picked up his guitar and with his wife sang a song he had just written; it was a song I will never forget. As I heard it sung for the first time while watching it on my computer, torrents  of tears started falling, and I remember getting up from my computer and lifting my hands heavenward as I began singing and praising God, right along with the Bethel congregation.

Oh, I am grateful for all the great hymns that have been written and sung throughout the ages, and I look forward to the few times when we still sing them, but I do love  those new and wonderful contemporary Christian classics which have touched so many hearts.

“Raise a Hallelujah” is my devotional for the day, and I hope it will speak to your heart as it did to mine yesterday, and as it does every time I hear it sung.

I encourage you to click on the link below and spend the next few minutes raising your hands -it’s OK for no one is looking but God- and lifting your voices in praise as you sing along with the Bethel congregation as they celebrate  one of the great victories in the life of that church, the healing of a child.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

Click on Raise a Hallelujah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awkO61T6i0k

No comments:

Post a Comment