Thursday, November 12, 2020

Leadership Thought:  Will You Kneel or Stand before the Flag This Veterans Day?

Dear Friends,

Today is a special day for me. It is Veterans Day, As I normally do on my drive to the church, I will take a quick glance out my left  window to view the  7,002 individual flags that have been planted on the grounds of Westminster Presbyterian Church. For a number of years, Joe Hein, the church’s pastor and a good  friend of mine, has chosen to honor our military veterans with a display of 7,002 individual flags commemorating the over 7,000 service men and women  who have voluntarily surrendered their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Last Saturday I had the privilege of attending a service on the grounds of the church as people from the community gathered  in a service to remember not only those who died in Afghanistan and Iraq, but those faithful service men and women who throughout our history have fought and died to preserve our freedom.

My dad was a retired army colonel who was the one in charge of security on the military base in Oak Ridge, Tenn. where the first atomic bomb was being secretly built. I attended Virginia Military Institute where I initially had initial  of a military career, and upon graduation from seminary I taught and coached at a Military Prep School in Syracuse, NY.

While I remain a staunch supporter of our military, I am sure I am still an enigma to some, for in 1968 I joined thousands of others young men across our nation who turned in our draft cards in protest over the war in Viet Nam. Unlike many who were written off as 'long haired, anti-American commies,' I was a  conservative,  evangelical seminary student who chose to drop my draft card in an offering plate at a seminary worship service in Princeton, NJ.

I was a living contradiction to many, for on one hand I was staunch supporter of our military, and yet I chose to become a Viet Nam draft resister in a movement that was spreading across our land.

Having confessed to being  a draft resistor during  the Viet Nam war, I also confess that to this day I am just as great a supporter of the military as I was on the day I tendered my draft card in that seminary worship service back in 1968.

I love this country and while never having served myself, I am grateful for the millions of men and women who have served in my place, and who have put their lives on the line in fighting to preserve my freedom. Whether policemen, firemen, army, navy, marine,  air force, or coast guard, I will always go out of my way to thank them whenever I see them dressed in their military garb.  And  to this day I never miss an opportunity to e-mail and thank my friends who have faithfully served, especially those who fought in Viet Nam.  It doesn’t take much effort to say a personal thanks to those who have served our nation, and I hope you will do so today and every day.

I close by quoting a part of a message that was  read at the Field of Flags celebration that I attended  last Saturday. It was given ten years ago by retired General, John Kelly, at a Veterans Day Celebration. His words provide ample justification for me to declare myself a proud flag waving American who is grateful for the millions of men and women who have proudly fought to preserve my freedom and the freedom of others around the world.

I quote a part of General Kelly's speech. “America’s warriors have never lost faith in their mission or doubted the correctness of their cause. They face dangers every day that their countrymen safe and comfortable this night cannot imagine. But this has always been the case in all the wars our military have been sent to fight. Not to build empires, or enslave people, but to  free those held in the grip of tyrants while at the same time protecting our nation its citizens, and our shared values. And, ladies and gentlemen, think about this, the only territory we as a people have ever asked for from any nation we have fought alongside , or against, since our founding, the entire extent of our overseas empire, as a few hundred acres of land for the 24 American cemeteries scattered around the globe. It is in these cemeteries where 220,000 of our sons and daughters rest in glory for eternity, or are memorialized forever in the deepest depths of the oceans or never recovered from far flung and nameless battlefields. As a people we can be proud because billions across the planet today live free, and billons yet unborn will also enjoy the same freedom and a chance at prosperity because America sent its sons and daughters out to fight and die for them, as much as for us.”

This is why I am still proud to wave the same flag that others  may  choose to kneel before. Those who choose to kneel instead of stand have every right  to do so; however,  they must never forget that the freedom they enjoy was earned and  preserved  by the same men and women we honor today who throughout the many years have fought to preserve that freedom.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment