Thursday, November 19, 2020

Leadership Thought: What Do You Do When You Forget the Names of Your Kids?

Dear Friend,

Jerry Kirk, a pastor friend in a former denomination, told how he had come home after a busy day at church, the kind of day that when your wife meets you at the door, you ask, “Honey, tell me the names of our kids once again.” Jerry had longed for a quiet evening at home where he could sit back in his easy chair, read the paper, and maybe catch a favorite television program. But then it happened. As he was just settling down, the phone rang. His wife picked up the phone and after a few minutes she hung up the phone and relayed the message to her husband who was comfortably ensconced in his favorite chair. She said to him “One of your members is in the hospital, and he wants to see a pastor.” With that Jerry let out a loud groan, the kind that communicated the thought, “Do I have to go, Lord?” His wife turned to him and said, “Honey, what’s the matter? Don’t you love your people?” And with that Jerry responded, “Yes, but I just don’t want to love so many so fast.”

Did you ever feel that way? I know I have and the times are probably too many to count. I particularly remember one of those situations when I, like Jerry, was resting at home one night after dinner and I got one of those calls. It too, was a hospital call, and I rationalized that it could certainly wait until the next morning. But then it happened. I got the Holy Spirit nudge that quickly reminded me where I needed to be, and it was not at home. So begrudgingly I went with anything but the best intentions. And guess what? I not only got to see the patient I intended to visit, but I also was able to visit another member who was also in the same hospital. After returning home, I remember feeling that I was no longer tired, but I was filled with a renewed sense of energy.

It often happens that way doesn’t it?  But like myself we sometimes need to be reminded that the Holy Spirit is not only our spiritual energizer, but He is our physical energizer as well.

In James we read, “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins” (James 3:17). I thought to myself I am all too familiar with the sins of commission, but what about the sins of omission? Would I have sinned had I decided not to have made that hospital visit? I don’t know, but I think the verse  indicates that was a possibility.  And then I thought of Gal 6:9-10, where Paul writes, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.” Maybe James was not talking about some future reward, but maybe the reward was right now. Maybe the reaping began the moment I first decided in my heart to make that hospital visit.

Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest,  asks, “Have you delivered yourself over to exhaustion because of the way you have been serving God? If so, then renew and rekindle your desires and affections. Examine your reasons for service. Is your source based on your own understanding or it is grounded on the redemption of Jesus Christ? Continually look back to the foundation of your love and affection and remember where your source of power lies. You have no right to complain, ‘O Lord I am so exhausted.’ He saved and sanctified you to exhaust you. Be exhausted for God, but remember that He is your supply. ‘All my springs are in you’” (Psalm 87:7).

Do you have something the Lord has been wanting you to do that you have been putting because you knew it could easily to do it “tomorrow?”  Go, and do it now, and never be 'weary in doing good,' for who knows, the Lord might just bless you right in the “now” in ways that you had never imagined.

Yours in faith,

Tom 

No comments:

Post a Comment