Monday, November 1, 2021

Leadership Thought: Police Officers, a Chili Cook Off and a Celebration I Will Never Forget.

Dear Friends,

"Sleeping in today? " These were the words from a friend that flashed across my computer screen as I sat down with a cup of tea wondering what I might share in the way of a Leadership Thought. 

"Yes," I e-mailed my friend, "I slept in-got almost ten hours of sleep that I really needed as I tried to sleep off my devastating loss in our church's Fall Fest chili cook off." Last night hundreds of people gathered outside our church for our annual Fall Fest celebration which featured plenty of hot dogs, doughnuts and apple cider, music, games, creative car trunk displays, police golf carts and of course a good 'ole' fashioned chili cookoff that a few years back I won with my mango chili. Unfortunately, yesterday my pineapple chili lost out, largely because Jean repeatedly refused my request to go through the line and use up all of the 36 tickets, I gave her to vote for my culinary masterpiece. I am happy to say, however, that if I had to lose, I was glad it was to a local policewoman who joined our event for the very first time.  

Last night's event was one of the best events in which I have ever participated, and while there were many things I will always remember, first and foremost will be the cooperation and participation of so many of our local police force who helped insure the event's spectacular success. I counted 8 police cars and 12 policeman who personally participated in our celebration. Several of them brought with them their trained search and rescue dogs. 

During the evening, I made it a point to talk to as many of the officers as I could as I wanted to thank them for not only their participation in our event, but also for their service to our community. I know how popular it is for some to be critical law enforcement. I myself have had interactions with police that have left something to be desired, but in spite of such interactions, I have always possessed great respect and admiration for what they do. Just as I am quick to personally thank those in the military who have served or who are presently serving, I also try and do the same with those men and women in blue who put their lives on the line to protect us and preserve our community.

George Orwell wrote, "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men (and women) stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Every member in law enforcement, knows this quote. The emblem of the thin blue line shows just how seriously police officers take this heavy responsibility in the service of their community. We can rest well and safely at night because of them.

So don't despise the police for like us, they are not perfect, and on occasion they make mistakes in their administration of justice. Be grateful that they preserve and proact your freedom.

And as an aside, if one of them ever asks where you were between 4 and 6, don't ever say "I was in kindergarten." They might not appreciate your humor. Just a thought!

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. Thank you Mike Reuter for your leadership and participation as a member of our church and our local police force and thank you Nick D'Angelo, our family pastor, who did such an unbelievable job in organizing and orchestrating this event and thank you the many members of New Monmouth Baptist Church who served and helped make last night such a wonderful celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment