Monday, November 8, 2021

Leadership Thought: A Trip to Orlando, a Surprise Bowling Trophy and a Friend I Will Never Forget.

Dear Friends,

This past week Jean and I traveled to Orlando, Florida where I attended a church consultant conference on the future of the Post Pandemic Church. For the past year and a half, I have been privileged to be a part of a five-member team from around the country who have been training under church consultant Bob Whitesel.  Bob is a unique individual. He is a former pastor who earned two doctorates from Fuller Seminary, where he taught for over 20 years. He is the author of 14 books and is nationally recognized as one of the top three church consultants in the county. I have learned so much from this man who has not only been my church consultant mentor, but who has also become a dear friend.

Two members of our five-member training group were present for this Post Pandemic Church Conference led by Bob and following the conference we all went out for dinner and some bowling. Now I haven’t bowled in over 40 years, but somehow, I managed to break a 100 (quite an accomplishment for me) and believe it or not that was enough to win the friendly competition among consultants.

It may have been obvious by our conversations that we were all future church consultants, but certainly not bowling pros. At the end of the evening Dr. Whitesel surprised me by presenting me with a real bowling pin which he had purchased from the bowling alley and which all other team members personally signed.

When I got to the airport, I was told I could carry my bowling pin trophy in my carry-on bag. So, Jean and I checked in our one suitcase, and I kept the bowling pin in my carry-on bag. However, when we went through security, I was told they would not allow me to carry the bowling pin on the plane. I guess the thought of an 80-year-old man wielding a lethal bowling pin was considered just too great a risk. Now I certainly wasn’t ready to leave my autographed trophy bowling pin behind, for trophies like that are not a dime a dozen, but it seemed I had no other choice as the plane was boarding in ten minutes and my suitcase had already been checked in.

It was then that Eric Millan came to the rescue. Eric was a part of the airport security check in team, and he had been helping Jean and I navigate through the lengthy check in process. Eric wasn’t about to see us leave that bowling pin left behind, and so he took off running to the baggage area which was a lengthy distance away. I was doing my best to keep up with him, and when I finally did catch up with him, he asked me for my boarding pass in hopes he could rescue my suitcase. Unfortunately, I had left my boarding pass with Jean some five minutes away, and now the plane was boarding and there was no time to run back and get it. I watched Eric demonstrably negotiating with the baggage security official trying to retrieve my bag which amazingly he was able to do. We then raced back with the bag to the boarding area, where I once again had to go through the whole check in process which Eric wonderfully expedited.

I quickly stuffed my prize possession into an already bulging suitcase, and watched it loaded on the plane.

With no money in my pocket to give Eric and with Jean already having boarded, I thanked him for his kindness. I grabbed a pen and scribbled down his name and address on my boarding pass, and I told him how blessed I was to have met him. I assured him that I would write a note to the airport acknowledging his kindness to a “bowling pro” who was willing to do everything he could to preserve his bowling memento.

We arrived home safely with my trophy bowling pin in hand. It now sits proudly on my desk as the world’s largest paper weight.

I will never forget my gracious and caring friend Eric Millan who was so kind to a man he never met before. How I wish the world had more people like Eric. 

November 13 is World Kindness Day, and it’s coming up soon. Wouldn’t it be great if every day was World Kindness Day and each one of us would learn to speak the language of kindness that even the deaf can hear and the blind can see. Kindness, simply put, is demonstrating care and concern for others. It is the quality that binds people together and from my perspective we could use a little “binding” these days.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment