Friday, November 26, 2021

Leadership Thought: Who are Your Thanksgiving Giving Trees?

One of my favorite books is Shel Silverstein’s, The Giving Tree. Written is a 1964 this children’s book is about a tree who happily gives what she can to a young boy.  First, she gives him shade.  Then apples.  She even lets him carve initials into her.

As the boy grows up, he needs more. So, he takes her branches and eventually cuts down her trunk.  At that point, the tree is alive, but nothing but a stump.  Yet the boy, now an old man, still needs more.  He needs a seat.  She gives it to him.  “And the tree was happy.” (The last line of the book.)

I have read the book many times over the years, and each of those times I’m impressed with this wonderful story of such self-sacrificing love. When I think of the story, I often take a few moments to reflect on those many people throughout my lifetime who have been my “Giving Trees.”

My mind goes back to my high school days and my high school football coaches Frank Shields and Chuck Woodell as well as my high school pastor, Jack Smiley. These three men were very influential in my life, teaching me discipline, determination, self-confidence, and faith. I am so indebted to them and to the many others in my life who have loved and encouraged me.

Yesterday as I was lying in bed, I took some time to recall the names of others who have touched my life throughout the years. The names came flooding through my mind as I remembered their impact and influence. I thought of Chuck Beale a college football teammate who “badgered” me to attend a Fellowship of Christian Athletes conference back in 1962. Always persistent in his encouragement to attend the conference, I finally said yes, and it was there at the FCA conference in Lake Geneva, Wisc. that I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. How grateful I am that Chuck cared enough about me enough to continually encourage me to attend what turned out to be the “conference of my life.”

And then I thought of Clarence and Elizabeth Hoff who were in their early 70’s and who were committed to helping us build an integrated church in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania during the early 70’s.

At an age when most people were thinking of enjoying retirement, they traveled a distance from a white suburban community, to join with me and others in our church’s efforts to minister to a community that had quickly gone from all white to 85 percent black in just five years. Joining with those remaining white members who had not fled to white suburban communities, they helped us build one of the few truly integrated churches in the entire city of Philadelphia. There at Cedar Park Presbyterian Church white and black worshiped and served together in what was for me and my family one of the most exciting times of our ministry.

They were among the first members of our Evangelism Explosion outreach that went forth witnessing to our community team, and God used them to lead many in our area to a saving relationship with Jesus Christ.

And when I needed a church office because my office was in my home, (a small area off our kitchen) and we now had three little children in our family, I enjoyed little privacy for counseling and other church related ministry. Despite my efforts to convince our leadership I needed an office in the church, the response was always the same- “there is no room for an office and your three predecessors never had a church office,” but my three predecessors were all much older and didn’t have small children running all over the house.

Realizing my situation, and at the time not even a member of the church, Clarence Hoff, took it upon himself to show up one day with tools in hand, (he had previously been a contractor), and to my surprise began building an office. There was no approval from the elders. Clarence didn't work like that. He saw a need, got tired of seeing that need go unmet, and with saw and hammer in hand and in three days he crafted a new office.

You can only imagine the looks on those surprised elders as they walked in on Sunday morning to discover that their pastor had a new and beautiful church office. What could they do? Some of those elders who are still alive relish in telling that story again and again.

Clarence may well have saved my family and my ministry with his selfless act of love. With no expectation to be paid a single penny for what he did, he simply built an office out of love.

Countless are the examples I could offer of those wonderful people like the Hoffs whose love and commitment have shaped my ministry and blessed my life and the lives of our family.  Like that “Giving Tree,” they had only one purpose in life: to simply serve others because of the One who loved them and gave Himself for them.

Who are the “Giving Trees” in your life?  Maybe it's time to crawl up in some warm and cozy place this Thanksgiving Day and take a few minutes to reflect and give thanks for those “Giving Trees” who have left a mark on that life because they loved you in a special way. Their names could probably fill a page. I know mine would.

Thank you, Lord, for gifting me with such wonderful friends. I am a thankful man, and I trust that today each of you are too. May the Lord help each of us keep this little story in mind and may the story challenge us this an everyday to be a “Giving Tree” to all those who cross our path.

Happy Thanksgiving my friends and keep writing. I love to hear from you.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

 

No comments:

Post a Comment