Monday, November 15, 2021

Leadership Thought: Some Simple Thoughts on How to Be an Encourager.

Dear Friends

The Apostle Paul writes, “Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing” (1 Thess. 5:11). How important it is for believers to be on the lookout for ways to encourage others.

The late great psychologist William James writes, “The deepest principle of human nature is the craving to be appreciated,” and pastor and author Chuck Swindoll states. “We live by encouragement and we die without it.”

I try to be on the lookout for ways to encourage people, because I know what a great feeling it is when others encourage me.

One of my favorite stories is the one in which a little boy asks his father to play darts with him. The father asks his son, “How do you want to play?” The little boy says, “Dad, it is very simple. I’ll throw the darts and you say wonderful.” Those words, 'wonderful', 'good job,' 'you are the greatest' are words that are hard to forget.

I don’t know who said it but it’s true: “Flatter me and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you, ignore me and I may never forgive you, but encourage me and I will never forget you.”

If you are not hardwired to be an encourager, let me suggest something that will encourage you to join the encouragement ‘gang.’ Take five pennies, if you can't find pennies anymore (nickels will do just fine) and place them in your right pocket as you begin your day. Every time you say or do something to encourage someone, regardless of how small that effort might be, take one of those coins out of your right pocket and place it in your left pocket. Hopefully, by the end of the day. your right pocket will be empty.

When you are engaged in a conversation with someone look for opportunities to encourage them. Put a 10 on their forehead to remind yourself that they are valuable, and then treat them with the greatest respect.

Often time I will close a conversation with a question, “Do you know what I like about you,” and then share with them a sincere compliment-no phony baloney. The emphasis is on sincere.

Remember encouragement is biodegradable and that’s why we need to give it so often. It has a short shelf life.

And one more thing I would suggest, and that is smile when you are talking. I have a friend who always talks with a smile on his face. His smile, whether talking or listening, is engaging and makes me feel like I am his best friend.

And in closing, let me suggest in conversing with someone, always seek to be impressed not impressive. Everyone likes to be with someone who makes them feel important.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. Mark Twain said, “A compliment can keep me going for a month.”

No comments:

Post a Comment