Monday, June 21, 2021

Leadership Thoughts: Farewell for a Season????????

Dear Friends, 

Later this morning I'm heading to the lake for summer vacation, and I will be gone for much of the summer. In the past I've continued writing a daily Leadership Thought while on vacation, but this summer I'm planning to reduce the amount of time I spend at my computer keyboard, so I can enjoy more time with my family and friends. I haven't yet decided how this decision will impact my communication, but hopefully with some time away, I will have a clearer sense of how I would like to spend the next few months. Right now, I plan to take a few days to refresh and recharge (hopefully catch some bass and work in the garden), and after that, I trust I will have a clearer sense of how I will spend the summer.

As I have shared with you before, I write because it is an important, and I believe, a necessary discipline for me. It keeps me reading, thinking, and reflecting on things which are important to me. The more you write, the more you improve, and improvement has always been a goal of my life, regardless of whatever the area in which I have been involved. Yes, I want to  be a better writer and communicator, but I also want to be a better small mouth bass fisherman, flower gardener, pastor, husband, father, grandfather, and a good friend, and all of these things take time and work and the "B Word" balance, something that I have never been particularly good at.

One of the bi products of writing is that I not only get to share with you some of the things that are important to me, while staying in touch with people like  you, friends from the present and the past who have meant so very much to me.

Well, the longer I write, the more this is beginning to feel like a leadership thought, and that was not my intended desire.

My desire was to let you know I'm grateful for your friendship, and to let you know how much I appreciate hearing from you from time to time. I probably wouldn't keep writing without having friends who keep on reading, so thanks for your encouragement. 

As I have said, growth is important to me, so I want to continue growing, and one of the most important areas of growth for me is my spiritual growth. I want to always be "growing in the grace and the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18).

I hope this summer you might take some time to concentrate on your spiritual growth as well.  Paul writes to the Colossians, "For you have been raised with Christ, (so) set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God" Col. 3:1-3).

I hope you will find some time this summer to "set your mind on things above," and that when you do, God will speak to you in ways He has never spoken to you before.

I know it can be an overused cliché, but I don't care if it is: "God loves you and so do I," and that's the truth!" 

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. If you ever stray to areas in Northern New York-we are 60 miles north of Syracuse on Lake Ontario in Henderson Harbor, N.Y- I hope you will give me a call, as Jean and I would love to welcome you. 954 605 2825

No comments:

Post a Comment