Monday, June 7, 2021

Leadership Thought: Reflections at Last Night's Fellowship of Christian Athletes' Banquet.

Dear Friend,

Last night I attended a Fellowship of Christian Athlete’s annual fund-raising dinner as I have done for the last decade or so. I invited a couple of friends to join me as I am always interested in introducing others to the ministry of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

The evening always brings back a lot of memories as 59 years ago, almost to the very day, this young sophomore football player from the Virginia Military Institute found himself numbered among 500 other young men in Lake Geneva, Wisc,  for my first ever Summer F.C.A. Conference.

I still remember some of the speakers. Bart Star, Jessie Owens, Bob Feller were among some of those who would be speaking. I was there because of the influence of a good friend, and fellow football player, Chuck Beale, whose life had been changed at a similar conference a few years before, and he was eager to share his experienced and his newfound faith with anyone who would listen.

As I sat there last night at the dinner, my mind wandered back to that first F.C.A. Conference in Lake Geneva. It was after hearing Jessie Owens share his spiritual testimony and his  challenge to those present to yield their lives to Jesus that I quietly walked back to my cabin and knelt down beside my cabin cot and gave my life to Jesus.

Little did I know at the time how my life would change because of that decision. This morning I found myself quietly and gratefully reflecting on those 59 years since that Lake Geneva experience. I thought of the 7 wonderful churches I have served, and the young men I have coached and taught as a teacher and as an athletic director, and the many friends I have made throughout my years of ministry. I thought of how blessed I am to have such a wonderful wife and 4 incredible children, who like their dad, are all teachers.  And at my age, how lucky I am to find myself still ministering in a wonderful church, serving alongside  two young and gifted pastors.

And as I reflected on these things, it dawned on me that the day before was D-Day, June 6th, when  our  troops first set foot on the beaches of Normandy in 1941, and how similar that D-Day was  to my Spiritual D-Day when I knelt beside my cabin cot on that Lake Geneva summer evening of 1962.

In both cases, the first stage of ultimate victory had been achieved, but there would  still be a lot more territory to be conquered. The enemy would still need to be displaced. Satan’s occupying forces would still need to be destroyed.

The goal of every invasion is to defeat the enemy and that requires discipline, devotion, and an unwavering determination to accomplish the mission, and that is why we as believers continue to wage war against the unseen enemy of our souls. The battle rages on for the victory of Christ in the hearts of His people.

Jesus says, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have and have it to the full (John 10:10)

There is still work to do, battles to be fought, before the victory flag can be planted in the ground. While Christ’s army awaits that final promised victory and  the sound of the trumpet call of God that marks the enemy’s final demise, we labor on for the victory that is assured  even though it has not yet finally been accomplished.

And so, we take the Good News with us as did those D-Day soldiers as we travel from village to village, town to town and nation to nation. Our foe is crafty and his power is real, and he wages an unrelenting battle to protect his territory, but D-Day has been achieved and  V-Day is just around the corner, and we can confidently proclaim, “Thanks be to God who gives us the victory” (1 Corinthians 15:57).

I hope you, too, are enjoying D-Day as you await that final V Day victory when Christ shall come and take us home to be with Him forever.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment