Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Leadership Thought: Fire Lighter or Fire Fighter: The Blessedness of Being Needed.

Dear Friends, 

Someone said, we can either be the wind beneath someone’s wings or the anchor in their boat. I seek to be the wind.  I want to lift people up and help lighten their loads. I want to do my best to inspire people and encourage them to realize their goals and achieve their dreams.

There are all too many people in our world who act like anchors, and who are quick to drag people down. 

The world needs more fire lighters,  who come alongside those who have a dream and help ignite that dream.  “You can do it,” I’m with you,” “You can count on me." are some of the words in the vocabulary of the fire lighter. 

The firefighter functions just the opposite. The firefighter douses dreams and dampens spirits. He pours water on the flames of enthusiasm.  He finds way to discourage one’s efforts.  “You can never do it,” “the task is insurmountable,” “You don’t have the resources," "you don’t have the background," "you lack the experience.”  The words of the firefighter will leave you discouraged and  ready to give up and quit.

Many years ago, one of my favorite authors, David Mains, told the story of how he and his wife sought to address some behavior issues with their four-year old son Jeremy. He had a habit that they wanted to break, but they were making Iittle progress. They tried everything until as a final resort they applied physical the discipline of spanking.

When conversation was restored, his wife, Karen, asked the chastised little boy, "Jeremy, what are we going to do with you?" Fully contrite, he slowly answered, "Why, don't you just throw me in the garbage.  "

And there are many people, who like little Jeremy, feel like they have been thrown on the garbage heap. They don't feel as if anyone cares about them. They feel like they are without value, good for nothing, except to be cast into life's dumpster.

A number of years ago Anne Murray popularized a song whose lyrics remind me off something we all need.

           “I cried a tear, you wiped it dry

            I was confused, you cleared my mind.

            I sold my soul, you bought it back for me

           And held me up and gave me dignity.

            Somehow you needed me.

            You gave me strength to stand alone again,

           to face the world out on my own again.

          You put me high upon a pedestal. So high that I can almost see eternity, 

you needed me, you needed me; and I can't believe it's you, I can't believe it's true.

          I needed you and you were there, and I'll never leave.

          Why should I leave, I'd be a fool

          'cause' I've finally found someone who really cares."

We all have a need to be needed. We want to know that people care for us. We want them to affirm our value and our importance. We want someone who we know truly cares for us and wants the very best for us. We long to feel valued and  important to someone. Blessed is the person who knows he or she is needed and has someone who really cares.

Max Lucado sums up my thoughts when he writes, "God sees us with the eyes of a Father. He sees our defects, errors, and blemishes. But He also sees our value. What did Jesus know that enabled Him to do what he did? Here's part of the answer: He knew he value of people. He knew that each human being is a treasure. And because He did, people were not a source of stress, but a source of joy." (Max Lucado, I Never Knew That Was in the Bible: Inspirational Thoughts for Each Day of the Year).

Is there someone you know who needs to know he/she is needed? Why not be the wind beneath his/her wings?

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment