Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Leadership Thought: The Hugging or the Holy Kiss Debate?

Dear Friends,

Thanks to those of you who responded to yesterday's Leadership Thought on hugging.

I received several wonderful responses. One south Florida friend sent me an air hug. Unfortunately, however, his air hug was not quite the same as a real  person embrace.

I also received a strange response from another reader-just a small dark seemingly non- descript emoji. I had no idea what she was trying to communicate  with her cryptic response, so I asked her.  She simply responded that she had sent me a hugging emoji. Duh! I guess that brings you up to speed on my  computer communication skills.

Since the pandemic there hasn't been a lot of hugging, and I'm afraid that hugging is in danger of becoming a thing of the past.

As I reflected some more on this subject, I found myself wondering what might happen in our crazy political world if those antagonistic members on both sides of the aisle would start hugging each other. Could all the acrimony be healed with a simple hug? I don't know, but I do know that it's hard to argue when you're hugging!

It has been medically proven that hugging makes us happier.

A hug releases oxytocin, a chemical that not only reduces blood pressure but makes us happier. That's why it is called the "happy hormone."

When I see someone down in the dumps, I will often ask them if I might  give them hug? And if they look at me and ask if I've been vaccinated, I know it may be time to back off and suggest a toe tap or an elbow bump instead!

It is true that hugging makes one feel comfortable and cared for while also reducing stress and if there is anything that we need less of in our lives, it is stress.

Stress impacts us all, especially children. Dr. Suzanne Archers, a retired educator, states that children who don't grow up with hugs may grow up and find it difficult to express affection to others. She goes on to point out that if your child reacts negatively to the idea of being hugged, then sit next to him/her on a sofa where you can still make some degree of physical contact.

Paul encourages us to greet one another with a holy kiss (2 Corinthians 13:12), but I think it might be a little safer to start with the hug, even if it might seem a bit less scriptural. 

However, you choose to express your care and love for others, remember to make it appropriate and apropos for methods may not matter but motives sure do. Just a thought!

Yours for hugging,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment