Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Leadership Thought: "Keep Your Fork," Something Greater is Coming

Dear Friends,

There's a wonderful story about hope found in John Ortberg's, If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get out of the Boat.  Let me share the story in the words of Pastor John. 

"I read recently about a woman who had been diagnosed with cancer and was given three months to live. Her doctor told her to make her preparations to die, so she contacted her pastor and told him how she wanted things arranged for her funeral service. She talked about the songs she wanted sung, and the scriptures she wanted read. She described what she wanted said and even the clothes she wanted to be buried in and that she wanted her favorite bible to be buried with her." 

"But before he left, she called out to him, and said, 'One more thing.'"

"'What?"  'This is important. I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand.'" 

"The pastor did not know quite what to say. 'No one had ever made such a request before.'"

"So, she explained, 'In all my years going to church functions, whenever food was involved, my favorite part was when whoever was clearing the dishes from the main course would lean over and say,  "You can keep your fork.'"

"'it was my favorite part because I knew that it meant something greater was coming. It wasn't just Jello. It was something with substance-apple pie or pineapple upside down cake- or some other dessert delicacy.'" 

'"I just want people to see me there in my casket with a fork in my hand, and I want them to wonder, what's with the fork? Then I want you to tell them, ‘Something better is coming so keep your fork.'" 

"The pastor hugged the woman and said goodbye, and soon after she died. 

At the funeral service people saw the dress she had chosen, the Bible she loved, and heard the songs she selected, but they all asked the same question; 'What's with the fork?'"

"The pastor explained that the woman wanted them to know that for her or for anyone who dies in Christ - this is not a day of defeat. It's a day of celebration. The real party is just starting. something better is coming.'"

I love the message in this story. It's a message of hope. Someone once said, "hope stands on tiptoe, as it eagerly anticipates the future."

We Christians need to be standing on tiptoe as we look to the future for the fulfillment of the promised resurrection.

One can't live very long without hope. Show me a hopeless person, and I will show you a lifeless person. Hopelessness will suck the life blood from your veins quicker than almost anything I know. It is a silent killer.

But the writer of Hebrews reminds us that we have a hope which is an "anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast." (Hebrews 6:19)

As believers, we should be standing on tiptoe waiting for the arrival of our heavenly home. We should share the sentiments of the apostle Peter who writes, "In his great mercy He has given us new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade- kept in heaven for you who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of their salvation. that is ready to be revealed in the last time. (1 Peter 1:3- 6)

This is good news, and so the next time you are at one of those church suppers, don't forget: 'Keep your fork' because you know something greater is coming. 

Yours in faith and friendship,

Pastor Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment