Friday, March 8, 2024

Leadership Thought: A Leadership Thought That Isn't a Leadership Thought-Please Read to the End

Dear Friends,

I hope many of you took the time to watch the video I shared in yesterday's Leadership Thought.

I had several positive comments regarding the message.

One of those comments came from a friend in a former church I pastored who for many years ran a very successful advertising firm. 

He writes, "This is awesome.  I’m hoping those copied will read it and listen and watch the video.  It’s like taking a very expensive management course…GRATIS. Thanks for your continuing effort to keep us management-trained on earth and heading upward."

Other comments were also of a very positive nature, and I was grateful to hear from so many of you.

I appreciate feedback. It is always an encouragement when I hear from one of you and learn that something I have shared has been helpful or encouraging. 

I am also grateful when I receive constructive criticism as I value your comments and reactions. They challenge me to work harder to improve the quality of my writing.

Part of the reason I am up early is the hope that in writing to you I can share something of value that will make a positive difference in how you live your life. 

Having said this, I want you to know that I am not in the least bit offended when someone, for whatever reason, asks to be removed from my mailing list. These days we are all deluged with unwanted e-mails, and I am constantly unsubscribing from services that are no longer of interest to me. I hope you will feel free to do the same. 

Some messages I share are overtly biblical and  spiritual in nature, and some are more general, directed to some aspect of leadership, but either way, my goal is always the same: to stimulate you "to love and good works" as you seek to walk in the footsteps of Jesus.

I would be remiss, however, if I neglected to confess that part of my motivation for writing is selfish in nature. I write because I long to stay in touch with so many of you who have touched my life, and writing is one  way I can keep those treasured friendships alive.

Maintaining friendships is a valuable goal for me, and that is why I rejoice whenever I hear from someone I haven't seen or heard from in many years. In fact, I recently received a phone call from a friend on my mailing list who I hadn't seen in over 40 years. 

Because cultivating friendships is so important to me, I work at it, and I hope you do too.

Just this week I experienced the loss of three friends who were high school classmates. All were very successful athletes who made a difference in  our high school and later in the colleges they attended. Their quick and sudden passing was a stark reminder to me of why it's so important to keep in touch with  friends. 

Thankfully, I talked with one of these friends just a week before his passing, but one never knows how long those friends will be around for you to talk to.

Jay Kessler, former president of Taylor University where my daughter and son in law attended, writes "One of my goals in life is to wind up with eight men who are willing to carry one of my handles." Jay J Kessler, Being Holy, Being Human

Enough said! Pick up the phone and make that call.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment