Thursday, October 22, 2020

 

Leadership Thought: A Quick End to the Radical Polarization in the U.S. as Shared by a Pastoral Colleague, "The Art of Neighboring?"

Dear Friend,

"Looking for an answer to entrenched polarization?  Look at what is happening to overcome hatred and create peace across Ethiopia." So begins the words of a good  friend and colleague who served on staff with me in the 80's when I was pastoring in Greenville, Pa. After several pastorates, his last in Visalia, Ca, Rich Hansen and his wife Marilyn traveled across the ocean to serve on the mission field in Ethiopia, where Rich would teach in a seminary in Addis Ababa where he helped train Ethiopian pastors. Presently he and his wife are living in Annapolis Maryland where he is a life coach for pastors.

In his weekly newsletter he shares an interview with Andrew DeCort, whom he met while teaching at the Seminary. Andrew leads the "Neighbor-Love Movement" in Ethiopia. It is a movement that had chosen  to  not only study the Sermon on the Mount, but to live out its message in specific and practical ways. They are practicing “the greatest message ever preached” in real time in a country divided by hatred where Moslems and Christians continue to wage war, and where families are being torn apart by tribal, religious, and political hatred. I think the message they share is ripe for hearing in our politically and racially charged environment.

The Sermon on the Mount was not only meant to be preached but to be practiced. Jesus expects us to "actually, concretely,  and unequivocally love our enemies," and in Ethiopia there are those who are taking seriously these words by practicing what is called  "Neighboring Love." The foundation of this ministry  began when a few people took to heart the words of Jesus who told us we are to love our enemies, and in doing so they are  leaving behind them the footprints to their faith as they step into the middle of the ethnic, social and political conflicts amidst their society. This year the "Art of Neighboring" will be shared in all 45 universities across the country, and already the stories of the radical relational transformation that have resulted from this ministry are amazing to behold.

When I listened to the interview with one of the founders of the  "Neighbor Love Movement" which you can access by clicking on to the link below, I was amazed at the biblical simplicity of their message which embraces loving others with every part of our body.

1. I will use my eyes literally  see you as my neighbor

2. I will open my ears to hear and listen to  your hurt, and I will love and respect you even when we disagree.

3. I will use my mouth to speak truth and show respect and to ask forgiveness when I have wronged you.

4. I will use my hands  to help you, not harm you

5. I will use my feet to move outside my own circle and walk with people who are different from me, even those who are my enemies. And I will work to get closer to them to try and make them my friends.

6. I will use my heart and make it a place where I can  embrace your joy and your pain and not revert to envy, cursing or revenge.

7. I will use my mind and brain to live a unified life and hold together unified values of lifestyle and belief and practices without  ever saying I am a follower of Jesus while choosing to hate my enemy.

Many of us wore WWJD, 'What Would Jesus Do" wristbands. That was an easy thing for us to do, and hopefully it made, and still makes a difference, in how we live out our faith. Wearing a wrist band can certainly be a good reminder of how we are to walk in Christ's footsteps, but the Art of Neighboring takes this challenge to a new and higher level. This is not Christianity 101. It is for only who are seeking  an advanced degree in discipleship.

I close with the words of our brother James who writes: "But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves." (James 1:22),  Enough said. I hope you will click on and listen to the link below.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment