Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Leadership Thought: So, You Think You Have Problems.

Dear Friends,

This is the devotional that never got sent. Early yesterday morning I had just finished writing it, but then before sending it I somehow lost it and in spite of using my very limited technological efforts I was never able to recover it. I hope there are some of you out there who can identify and relate to my predicament. In any event, I am hoping to recover some of yesterday’s thoughts to address a question that all of us have at one time or another faced- “Why is this happening to me?”

David, Israel’s future king, had just witnessed the ransacking of  Ziglag, the city where his family and the families of his fighting men were living. The city was completely plundered and everyone living in it was captured and taken away by the raiding Amalekites. Making matters worse, David's own men were ready to stone him, blaming him for the events which had just transpired while they were in the hills on the run from King Saul.

“David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters" (1 Samuel 30:6a).

Ever felt like the whole world had turned against you and you had no place to run? Maybe your household was under attack, your wife had become distant, your children had turned against you, and those who once were your friends had drifted away and now the enemy of discouragement, depression and despair was standing on your doorstep.

Where is my pastor? Where are my friends? Where are the people who once danced and celebrated my mighty victories and who sang, “ Saul has killed a thousand enemies; David has killed ten thousand.”

When David had no place to look,  but up, he realized he was not alone, but that God was right there with him. We read ….”But David encouraged himself in the Lord his God” (1 Samuel 30:6b).

While things around him looked grim, David was not about the planning of some pity party Instead he chose to “encourage himself in the Lord.” In Psalm 42:5,  we read the shape and form that encouragement took as he faced those “rock ready” enemies who once were his friends.

He cries  out, “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God. For I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”

David knows that while the world may be crumbling all around him and everyone has deserted him, he can look up to the One who was the source of his salvation and ask himself, “Why are you feeling this way?” He knows his hope is in God and because of that he will choose to  praise him and thank him and sing and talk to Him as he remembers and reflects upon all the great things God has done for Him.

When we go through our tough times, why not remember what David did to encourage himself and then turn to Isaiah 41:10 and  read,  “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." That’s a verse we should never forget."

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment