Monday, October 12, 2020

Leadership Thought: Words of Wisdom from a Beautiful Wooden Office File Cabinet.

Dear Friends,

Over the past forty years, I have been in the habit of collecting stories, quotes, and relevant articles that I would then  paste on 3/5 cards for future use in  messages that I might share. I suspect I have well over 20,000 of these file cards tucked away in a large wooden file cabinet in my office. This 4 by 4 wooden treasure case was crafted  by former woodworker friend who was a member of a church I served in the 80’s while pastoring In Greenville, Pa. I treasure this beautiful wooden file cabinet and the wisdom hidden within, and so for the next few days, I thought I would explore and share some of the contents found within those wooden drawers.

Those who know me recognize my love for leadership, and since the title of my daily e-mails is “Leadership Thoughts” I reckoned what could be more appropriate than to start off with some “leadership thoughts."

One of the key qualities of successful leaders is their  ability to fashion strong relationships, so let me share a few bullet points that you might keep in mind in connecting with others. These points are not original, and I take no credit for any of them, except that I once thought them important enough to save and store, while also trying hard to  apply them throughout my lifetime in ministry. Most of them are self-evident and need little explanation.

“Put a 10 on the forehead of everyone you meet.”

Envision a sign hanging around the neck of everyone you meet that reads, ”Please help me feel important.” Mary Kay

When visiting with someone, try to leave them with a sincere (no phony baloney) compliment. You might ask, "do you know what I like about you,” and  then take a moment to point out some affirming comment about them:  smile, energy, enthusiasm etc.

Don’t let anyone leave you without feeling better or happier.

If you help enough people get what they want, they will help you get what you want.

You can’t help someone feel special if deep  down in your heart you feel like they are a nobody.

“Kind words are short and easy to speak but their echoes are endless.” Mother Teresa

“Always look for ways to add value to people.” John Maxwell

Don’t push people down, lift them up. John Maxwell shared this thought at a leadership conference by using a powerful illustration. He demonstrated with his hands how pushing someone down involves yourself going down with them. However, in lifting others up, you not only raise them up but you are raised up as well. I have never forgotten that wonderful visual image.

"MBWA" Management By Walking around. Take time to walk around your office or place of employment always looking for opportunities to engage others and to speak some word of encouragement into their lives

And finally, three of the most important biblical  "relationship reminders" I know and which were important enough for  me to commit to memory:

“A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver” (Prov. 25:11).

“Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones” (Prov. 16:24).

“Don’t let any unwholesome words come out of your mouth,  but only that which is helpful for building others up according to their needs” (Eph.4:29).

Well, hopefully these few thoughts will help you get started on the road to building even stronger relationships with friends, acquaintances, strangers, and yes, even those within your own family.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment