Monday, December 28, 2020

Leadership Thought: Are You Pulling in the Right Direction?

Dear Friends,

“My husband and I have a very happy marriage, a woman bragged. There is nothing I wouldn’t do for him, and there is nothing he wouldn’t do for me. And that is the way we go through life-doing nothing for each other.”

We can laugh at this joke, but unfortunately it is an attitude that can easily impact a team. Whether in marriage, or athletics, or in the workplace, not much of value will be accomplished without team members who are committed to doing what’s in the best interest of the team.

Over the years of ministry, I have always been blessed to serve on wonderful teams where no one cared who got the credit and where every individual team member exemplified the goal of “one for all and all for one.”

Working together unselfishly to achieve a common goal is one of the most rewarding experiences in all of  life. As an athlete, coach, and pastor, I know that great things can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit.

It is true that “one is always too small a number to achieve greatness,” and that “teamwork makes dream work” as John Maxwell is fond of saying.

I read that there is a sign hanging in the New England Patriot's locker room that says, "Individuals play the game but teams win championships," and it is hard to dispute the truth of that statement when you reflect on the Patriots success over the years. Players without that attitude didn’t last very long on Coach Belichick’s teams.

The Apostle Paul was a consummate team player. He knew that ministry was a team effort, and that each player had a particular role to play and a gift to share in achieving  team success.

He writes, “I appeal to you brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgement ( 1 Cor.1:10 ESV).

And when some were saying that they were following Paul, and some Apollos and some Peter, Paul responded as a true team player would. He asked, “But did I, Paul, die for your sins? Were any of you baptized in my name? I am so thankful that I didn’t baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius. For now, no one can think that I have been trying to start something new, beginning a church of Paul” (1 Cor. 1:13-15. Living Bible Translation).

No ego for Paul. He knew there was no “I” in team as one of my coaches used to always remind us. All he cared about was that ministry was accomplished and it mattered not  who  did it, or who got the credit, so long as it got done.

There is an old saying when it comes to teams: “Either we are pulling together or we’re pulling apart.” Let’s make sure we are always pulling in the right direction.

Enjoy the day and let me challenge you to make an effort to do something that contributes to the success of your team whether in your family, or at work, or in school or in church.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment