Thursday, December 17, 2020

 

Leadership Thought: The Day I Met the Perfect Heathen.

Dear Friends,

Have you ever met a real heathen? I am talking about the kind of person who takes seriously the desire to live completely committed to fulfilling the desires of the flesh. You name the sin, and he has done it or thought about it. Want a descriptive list of this person, then turn to Galatians 5:19-21 and read Paul’s description of the ‘perfect’ heathen. Imagine sitting next to that person in church.

Last week I talked with a model heathen as I listened to him share his story. When he had finished, I remarked, “You truly were the perfect heathen.” We laughed as he had just finished his testimony of how God supernaturally took hold of his life and changed him from the inside out.

My friend had told a coworker how unhappy he was with his life. The friend invited him to sit down, and he took out his bible and thumbing his way through the pages, he stopped at Galatians chapter 5. He told my friend to read the chapter. As he began reading, he suddenly stopped and cried out, “That’s me, that’s me.”

And my friend went on to relate how that encounter changed his life. Immediately the Spirit of God revealed to him his sinful nature. He realized, it was “Because of these things, (his sinful nature) that the wrath of God is coming” (Colossians 3:6), and right there and then he opened his heart and gave his life to Jesus.

I’ll never forget the story, and today you may find him sitting next to you at our church.

The list in Galatians is lengthy (I counted some 15 acts of the flesh) but not exhaustive. It is just a sample of what the fleshly life is like.  And Paul makes clear the consequences of such a lifestyle. He says I want you to know that “those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God” (Gal 5:19-21).

Now Paul was not talking about the person who struggles with some of the sins on the list. He was talking about the person who habitually chooses to practice this kind of behavior, arrogantly and willfully and with no desire to change.

I am so glad that there are people like this in our church, who like my friend have discovered the power of God to change lives. Paul writes, “If any man is in Christ, the old has passed away; the new has come” (2 Cor 5:17). 

Wise is the person who takes Paul’s words seriously, and says I don’t want to miss out on heaven, so forgive me for my sinful nature, change my heart and fill me with your Spirit so that I may know you and the promise of eternal life.

It can happen. I know because 58 years ago it happened to me, and it can happen to you, even if you are not the ‘perfect’ heathen.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment