Thursday, December 17, 2020

Leadership Thought: Don't Be an "Ice Tapper" When You Can Be a Thundering Herd.

Dear Friends,

I have many friends that I have accumulated inside my four by five-foot wooden file cabinet. Constructed over 40 years ago by a member of my church in Greenville, Pa.,  this cabinet is my sermon treasure chest, for inside are hidden thousands of 3 by 5 cards containing stories, quotes, and teachings by some of the most significant teachers in the world. There is a lot of wisdom accumulated and neatly lodged within those drawers. These “filing friends” of mine provide me access to large amounts of information that I might otherwise have forgotten.

Some use computers to store knowledge and relevant information, and I am learning to do this as well, but for me, still nothing beats the hands-on experience of pulling out a story or two that is neatly hidden within the recesses of  those hand-crafted wooden drawers.

As I write this morning, I am indebted to the late Chuck Smith for one of those stories tucked away within those drawers.

He tells how many years ago he heard of a fellow who ran out of fuel in the middle of a blizzard and needed to ask a neighbor for some oil. “The river that separated his house from his neighbor’s was frozen over, so he got down on his hands and knees and reached out as far as he could on the ice, rapping with his knuckles to determine the ice’s thickness. In this way he inched his way across the river, reaching out and tapping. Soon his knuckles were bloody. Just about the time he reached the far bank of the river, he heard a rumbling behind him-seeing a team of horses thundering across the river.” Why Grace Changes Everything, Chuck Smith p. 60

Now I can’t vouch for the truthfulness of the story, but it does illustrate an important lesson for all of us to learn.

Some of us are like that fellow and are prone to say, “I believe in the promises of God,” yet like that “ice tapper” we keep knocking to see if those promises can hold us up. I know the bible says God can meet  my needs, but I am not quite sure if He can meet each and every one of my needs.  I hope I can depend on His Promises and that they are secure and dependable and that they “will hold up,” but my faith is tentative and my belief needs some reassurance.

Unlike others who boldly launch out trusting in God’s faithfulness in keeping all of His promises, you may be an “ice tapper” carefully inching your way across the ice, while hoping the ice is secure enough to keep you from falling through. But as one of His children, you can boldly thunder cross that ice covered river like that herd of horses, knowing that the promises of God are sure and certain.

Just as God spoke to Joshua, God speaks to us "ice tappers” today and asks,  “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous; Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go”( Joshua 1:9).

Isn't it good to know that all of “the promises of God in Him are Yes and Amen” to us ( (2 Corinthians 1:30)?

His promises are true and trustworthy, and His strength is sufficient to keep you from falling, so don’t be an “ice tapper when you can be like that thundering herd.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

 

No comments:

Post a Comment