Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Leadership Thought: The Christmas Hope Wrapped Up in Death.

Dear Friends,

It arrived just yesterday, flashing across my computer screen, an e-mail which came from a good friend in a church I served in the 80’s- “Yesterday John Beham passed away.” 

While I hadn’t seen or talked with John for many years, I considered him a dear friend. We served together in the church I pastored, we fished together at our summer cottage, we laughed together on retreats, but without much warning, the Lord called him home.

I called his wife, and as I was leaving a message I broke down and began weeping uncontrollably, and even this moment as I write this, I feel the tears welling up within. Another friend gone home. The older I get, the more of these messages I receive and each one is just as painful as the last.

As I sat at my desk this morning, I opened up a book a friend had given me as a gift. As I thumbed through the pages of  A Good Old Age by Derek Prime, hoping to find something that would speak to my sadness, I turned to a chapter on hope, and I read these words. “Hope means that when we attend the funeral of someone we love, we can both smile and shed a tear at one and the same time. The Bible calls it holding ‘on to our courage and the hope of which we boast” (Hebrews 3:6, p. 63).

Like Jesus who stood beside the grave of Lazarus, we shed a tear over the death of someone we knew and loved. Yes, Jesus grieved -the Bible says he even wept  (John 11:35),  as He stood beside the grave. But in a moment His weeping would turn to joy as He watched his good friend step out and shed his grave clothes.

Funerals can be a time when both sadness and gladness are wrapped together in one emotion. We are sad that our friend is leaving us, but we are glad for we know where he is going. 

Death for the believer is no longer termination, but transformation. It changes our position, but never our condition, for once we are in Christ, death has no claim upon us for we are protected and safe within His arms. That’s why it has been said that only Christians can smile at funerals.

And when someone asks me why this is true, I can say, and  even sing the assurance of that blessed hope,

                                  "For my hope is built on nothing less

                                   Than Jesus blood and righteousness;

                                   I dare not trust the sweetest frame,

                                   But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

                                  On Christ the solid rock I stand;

                                  All other ground is sinking sand.” Edward Mote

And if you are looking for a further reason to smile at death, you might want to turn to 1 Thess. 4:13-14 where you will read, “Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope.  For we believe that Jesus died and rose ago, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.”

And because of this I can say at my friend’s funeral, “So long, John, but thanks be to God, I will see you later.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment