Monday, December 28, 2020

Leadership Thought: Don’t Forget the Empty Chair on Christmas.

Dear Friends,

Christmas time is generally a joyous occasion for families, especially if you are lucky enough to have children and grandchildren as we are.

But Christmas can also be a sad and lonely time for those sitting around a dinner table with an empty chair.

Covid and other illnesses have recently taken the lives of several of my friends, both in this church and in other churches I have served.

Just three days ago I lost a good friend, and today there is news that another friend lies helpless in a hospital as his family watches his organs slowly shutting down.

This year my heart is heavy for the families with the empty, or soon to be empty chair. Christmas for them will never be the same, and no matter how many gifts they receive, or friends they entertain, nothing will fill the empty void in their aching hearts.

I am sorry that this may be a downer for those who read these words today, and I don’t wish to rob you of the Christmas joy that so many of you long to experience. However, let me encourage you  while your laughing and celebrating as you should, don’t forget to remember those in the hospital, nursing homes, or living in the solitary silence of a home once filled with Christmas joy.

Yes, Christmas can be a glad time, but it also can be a sad time, and I remind you of this because you may know of people who may be celebrating Christmas alone and who would love a call, visit, where possible, or better yet, a seat at your table.

I love you all, and I am grateful for your encouragement as I continue to communicate with you throughout the week. My hope and prayer is that something of what I have shared might make a difference in your life, and in the lives of others.

Have a blessed Christmas and don’t forget to shine your light for others, for after all, “You are the light of the world.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment