Friday, December 18, 2020

Leadership Thought: "Bring My Flowers Now" and Don't Be a Tombstone Encourager (Listen to the Song at the End).

Dear Friends,

As most of you know I love country music, the classic kind from the 50’s through the mid 90’s. One of the great singers of that era was Tanya Tucker, (Delta Dawn and A Sparrow in a Hurricane), and at 61 she is still singing, and yesterday I heard one of her best recordings ever, "Bring Me Flowers Now." 

The lyrics made me think of a message I heard a number of years reminding me to never to be a “Tombstone Encourager,” the kind of person who never gets to say what he/she would like to say to a friend.

In my first church there was a song we used to sing. I still remember the lyrics: “Tell them now before there  just a memory. Tell them now before it’s too late. Hold them, love them, laugh and cry with them. Tell then now before they’re just a memory.”

Those lyrics came to mind once  again as I listened to Tanya Tucker’s song.  And as I thought about their meaning, I remembered several instances in my life when I waited too long to tell a friend how much I loved and missed them. Sadly, it often takes a tombstone to remind us of  unspoken words, or unseen actions we wished we had said or done.                         

                                        " Bring my flowers now, while I’m livin’

                                         I won’t need your love when I’m gone

                                         Don’t spend time, tears, or money

                                         On my old breathless body

                                         If your heart is in them flowers, bring ‘em on.

As I sat at my desk yesterday beholding the carpet of white that covered our front lawn, I took a few moments to quietly reflect on the countless  friends Jean and I  have stored away in  our “Friendship Treasury Bank. I thought of Syracuse, NY, Philadelphia, Pa. Greenville, Pa, Red Bank, N.J, Fort Lauderdale, Fl. Old Bridge, N.J and now Middletown, N.Y, stops along the path of ministry, where friendships were forged that have lasted a lifetime.

Just two nights ago, I picked up the phone and was able to talk with one of those “forever friends” I made in Greenville, Pa, the third church I pastored. She and her husband and three children were all Covid positive. Her husband was in a hospital two hours away and fighting for his life and one of her son’s had just lost his father in law to Covid. It had been over 30 years since I last talked with the family, but it seemed like it was only yesterday. 

That’s so true of friendship. Time never erases their memory.

In his travels the Apostle Paul made many treasured friends who blessed and touched his life. I took a few minutes to reacquaint myself with them as I read Romans 16: 3-5; 2 Corinthians 2:12-13; Philippians 2:25; Colossians 4:7; and  2 Timothy 1:2-4.

And having listened to the words of Tanya and read the words of Paul, I realized I needed to get busy and call some of those  friends and let them know how much they’ve meant to me. And maybe you have a few of them as well, friends who would be encouraged to hear your voice and know you’re thinking of them.

That, my friend, is your weekend assignment, so please pick up the phone and get started.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

Videos of bring my flowers now tanya tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment