Monday, November 27, 2023

Leadership Thought: Are You a Member of the Compliment Club?

Dear Friends,

If encouragement is oxygen to the soul, and we can’t live very long without it, and if the Bible frequently exhorts us to encourage one another, (1 Thess. 5:11 and Hebrews 10: 25), why is it that so few people take the time to offer it?

Encouragement is so easy to give. It takes little effort and only a few seconds to give, and yet a few timely words can make a person's day.

The other day, I was having lunch with a friend, and our waitress was especially helpful and attentive.

As she stopped by for the 3rd time to ask us how we were doing, I thanked her for her continued attention, and I told her how impressed I was with her service.

I said, “In my book, you are the waitress of the year,” and with those words, her face lit up, and she replied, “Thank you, thank you, you will never know how much those words meant to me.”

Just a few short words, but those words helped make a server’s day.

It was Mother Teresa who said, “Kind words are short and easy to speak, but their echoes are endless.”

I still hear those encouragement echoes from my mother, from coaches I’ve had, friends I’ve made, and nurses who recently tended to me while I was in the hospital.

“Great job,” “you can do it,” “I believe in you,” are words everyone longs to hear.

New Testament writer William Barclay states, “One of the highest of human duties is the duty of encouragement. It is easy to laugh at men’s ideals; it is easy to pour cold water on their enthusiasm; It is easy to discourage others. The world is full of discouragers. We have a Christian duty to encourage another. Many a time a word of praise or thanks or appreciation or cheer has kept a man on his feet. Blessed is the man who speaks such a word.” William Barkley, The Letter to the Hebrews.

Today I want to challenge you to be intentional. Be on the lookout for  opportunities to encourage someone.

Give positive feedback, let someone know how they helped you, smile, offer a compliment, send a card or write a letter, listen with not only your ears but your heart, express your care, follow up, hug someone, and notice when people encourage you and thank them.

Join the compliment club and you will not only bless others, but you, yourself will be blessed for as we all know. “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment