Monday, November 27, 2023

Leadership Thought: Three Life Lessons That We Should Never Forget

Dear Friends,

One of my favorite writers and teachers is John Maxwell, John has written over 100 books on leadership, and today he is widely acknowledged as the world's greatest expert on the subject of leadership. 

Recently he shared a series of 29 life lessons his dad had taught him. 

His dad was 98 when he died, and he was still going strong at his death. Shortly before his dad, he was busy leading two worship services every Sunday in the retirement community where he lived.

As John sat beside his father's bedside during the last days of his life, he poignantly shares the life lessons his dad had taught him. As he sat beside his dad during his final hours, he would  think of a lesson his dad had taught him, and then he would bend over his dad and whisper in his ear the lesson he learned and then he would thank him for teaching it to him.

These 29 lessons, which one can access on the internet, are some of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned, and periodically I will be sharing some of those lessons in future Leadership Thoughts.

A Month of Melvin Maxwell Series – John Maxwell Leadership 

Today I share John's own words about one of those lessons his dad had taught him.

"My dad taught me the importance of adding value to others."

"Every day my dad got up for one purpose, and that was to make the day better for someone else.  And every day when he would put his head down on the pillow, there would be no doubt that there would be people who would come into his mind that he knew  he had contributed to in a positive way." 

"Some of the best advice I ever learned was when I sat down with my dad before I went to college. 'How can I succeed,' I asked him, and I will never forget what he said." 

"John, there are three things that are important. And if you do these three things, I promise that you'll always do well."

"What he shared with me that day, I have carried with me my entire life, and every time I teach, write or lead I always remember those words."

"First," he said. " John everyday people go through life not always feeling truly valued. Add value to them. Sometimes these people don't have any sense of their own value. Let these people not only see who they are, but what they can become." 

Secondly, he said,  "Believe in people, and believe the best about them. We are all human. Every one of us has our worst sides. There's probably a day in your own life, and in my life that we hope nobody ever knows about. We don't always operate on the top level, but do your best to believe the best about the people you are around. The best way to get people to live the best is to believe the best about them."

And then thirdly, he said, "You must unconditionally love people." 

"I can promise you that the person that you are communicating with has never been unconditionally loved. I mean just love them with no strings attached. People may forget the things you do, but they will never forget how you (made them feel) by unconditionally loving them."

"And so I took my dad's advice. I try to value all people, believe the best about them and always unconditionally love them."

These are good lessons for all of us to keep in mind.

As I close I am reminded of the statement attributed to Wolfgang Von Goethe who said,  "Treat a man as he is, and he will remain the same, but treat a man as he could be and you will make him what he should be."

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment