Monday, November 27, 2023

Leadership Thought: Will Tomorrow be a ‘Thinkful’ Thanksgiving Celebration

Dear Friends,

Let me begin today’s Leadership Thought by wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving. All of you who are the recipients of this message have in some way wonderfully touched my life.

I have served 7 wonderful churches over 55 years of ministry, and during that time Jean and I have been blessed to cultivate scores of friends, some  whom we have  known for over 70 years.

One of the greatest gifts one can possess is the gift of friendship, and staying connected with you and periodically hearing from you continues to bring me great joy.

Tomorrow will be my first Thanksgiving without my dearest companion, my bride of 55 years. I still miss Jean so much and my grief still erupts at unexpected times and in unsuspecting places.

Today I was visiting a friend and a member in our church who was in the hospital suffering from Parkinson's, the same deadly disease that stole the life of my precious Jean.

Before I left his room, I took time to pray for my friend and his wife, but as I started to pray, I suddenly found myself at a loss-not for words, but for the ability to express those words that were fashioned in my heart. My own pain had momentarily silenced my lips and I stood speechless knowing and feeling  the painful struggle this man and his wife were going through.

I grieve that my Jean is gone, but the good news is that she is not lost from my life. How can you lose someone when you know where they are?

She is in heaven with Jesus, and I know she at very much at home with Him for that is where she longed to be.

And as I left the hospital and slowly walked to my car, an immense feeling of gratitude swept over me as I was wonderfully reminded that I would one day see and be with her again.

 As believers we hold on tightly to the “blessed hope,” the knowledge that one day we will see and be with our loved ones again.

And tomorrow when I sit at our Thanksgiving table and note that empty chair, I can rejoice and give thanks knowing my bride is safe in the loving arms of her Savior.

I will miss the fact that Jean won’t brighten our table conversation tomorrow, but yet I am thankful as ponder the thankful list I just compiled. On that list there are some 30 items I scribbled on a single sheet of paper, and I hope I have time to share some of them as we gather around our “Thinkful” Thanksgiving table.

It has been said that gratitude is the least expressed but most important virtue in a person’s life, but not tomorrow around the Crenshaw table. We have too much to be thankful for, and I trust you do too.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment