Monday, November 27, 2023

Leadership Thought: My Country Music Saturday Morning Challenge to All My Leadership Thought Readers

Dear Friends

I just finished watching Garth Brooks, whose concert held at a dive bar was televised following the Jets and Dolphins football game. Those of you who love classic country like I do, know what an incredible entertainer he is, and how his shows are amazing for the energy he expends on stage.

As I listened to the concert,  I got to thinking how much I love listening to country music, and how it so powerfully speaks to my heart. I thought I would share my 20 favorite country songs in hopes of priming the pump for those of you who also  love country music like I do.

A good friend of mine and I just purchased tickets to the George Strait, Chris Stapleton, and Little Big Town concert at Met Life Stadium in June, and I can hardly wait.

A number of years ago, Jean and I were privileged to see George Strait at one of his three Farewell concerts  held in Philadelphia, and it was one of the highlights of my life.

Over the years I've seen many concerts by some of my all-time favorites like Merle Haggard (My favorite of all) as well as Randy Travis, Don Williams, Reb McIntyre, Travis Tritt, Emmy Lou Harris, Alan Jackson and the Charley Daniels Band.

A few years ago, I embarrassed my wife at a Travis Tritt concert in Red Bank, NJ when I walked to the front of the stage  and started dancing with a woman I never met to "Here's A Quarter Call Someone Who Cares."  

Choosing my top 20 is a difficult thing for me, and every time I take on this challenge, I find that my list changes. 

Here's my list today in no particular order. 

The Dance, Garth Brooks

Bring them Flowers Now, Tanya Tucker

Old Hippie, The Bellamy Brothers.

Gone Country, Alan Jackson

Broken Halos, Chris Stapleton

Amarillo by Morning, George Strait

Cheyanne, George Strait

Wagon Wheel, Darius Rucker 

Pancho and Lefty, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson

Sunday Morning Coming Down, Kris Kristofferson

Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning, Alan Jackson

Whoever's in New England, Reba McEntire

I Should Have Been a Cowboy, Toby Keith

Trying to Get Over You, Vince Gill

Harlan County, Patty Lovelace

Lord, I Hope This Day is Good, Don Williams

Holding Her and Loving You, Earl Conlee

Unfair Weather Friends, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson

Three Wooden Crosses, Randy Travis

She Don't Know She's Beautiful, Toby Keith

Where Have You Been? Kathy Mattea

Today I Started Loving You Again, Gorge Jones

You're My Best Friend, Don Williams

Please Come to Boston. David Allan Coe

Meet me in Montana, Dan Seals and Patsy Montana

Troubadour, George Strait

Sing me Back Home, Merle Haggard

Go Rest High on That Mountain, Vince Gill and Patty Lovelace

You Don't Even Know My Name, David Allan Coe

Everything That Glitters is not Gold, Dan Seals

Looking for a Place to Fall Apart, Merle Haggard

Born Country, Alabama

Saginaw Michigan, Lefty Frizzell

Don't Take the Girl, Tim Mc Graw

And last but not least  the number 1 all-time classic country song, He Stopped Loving Her Today, George Jones

Yes, I know this is a lot more than 20 but who’s counting when you’re talking about your favorite classic country songs? There are just too darn many favorites to limit my list to just 20. 

How about you? I would love to hear your list-maybe not 20 plus but see if you can limit yourself to just 5.

And, if any of you are over the top country fans like me, let me know, and I'll  head up a trip to Nashville and a visit to the Grand Old Opry.

In closing those of you who prefer another music genre, I promise you that if you listen to the songs on my list and  don't  become a classic country convert, I will buy your Grand Old Opry ticket.

Yours in faith and friendship.

Tom

P.S. Yes I know Chris Stapleton might not be considered classic country, but he is just too good to leave off my list.

No typical Leadership Thought devotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment