Monday, December 11, 2023

Leadership Thought: Breakfast with Two Life Insurance Hall of Famers and a Story I Will Never Forget

Dear Friends,

This past Saturday morning I invited a couple of friends to breakfast. They had never met, but they had one thing in common. They both had been inducted into the Metropolitan Life Insurance Hall of Fame. 

One had worked in the corporate office while the other served in the field, and both of them had retired after having risen to the pinnacle of success within their company.

One was in his 80's and the other, a member of our church, was in his late 70's, and as I sat there listening to them share their stories,  I thought to myself, how blessed I was to be in their company.

Both of them could be taking it easy and enjoying their retirement years doing anything they wanted. 

However, both of them have chosen to be fully employed in Kingdom business. One was leading three weekly zoom Bible studies, and the other was leading a Bible study as well as being fully engaged in a number of church ministries.

The only time either one of them plan to retire is when God takes them home. May their tribe increase.

As I sat listening to them share story after story, I recalled a message by the famous pastor and writer John Piper. He had preached it 24 years ago to forty thousand college students at the Fourth Passion Conference in Memphis Tenn., and it became famously known as the  "Seashells sermon."

The theme of his message to those college students was, "Don't waste your life doing things that don't make a difference for the Kingdom," and he concluded his challenge to the students with a story of two contrasting pairs of people.

I quote from Piper's sermon. 

"Ruby Ellison and Laura Edwards, a nurse and a doctor had spent their lives serving the poor in Africa in the name of Jesus. One of them had been single all her life. One of them was married, but a widow by then. In their 80s, they were still serving. They're driving a car, and their car's brakes give out and they fly over a cliff in Cameroon and both of them go into heaven and meet Jesus in their eighties after a lifetime of serving the poor."

"Then, the other couple, and I can't remember their names. These fifty- somethings who took their early retirement, moved to Punta Gorda, Florida - which means, by the way, "Fat Point"-said they devoted themselves to collecting shells and playing softball and riding their 30-foot yacht."

Piper says, "I asked those thirty thousand young people, was the death of these two servants of Christ entering heaven in their 80s through a car crash a tragedy? Was that a waste?"

They shouted out, "No!"

"Was it a tragedy? I'll tell you what a tragedy is.  Two healthy fifty- some things wasting their lives collecting shells. That's a tragedy." 

"'Look, Jesus, here’s my shell collection that I gathered for you in the last twenty years of my God-, given life, not to be wasted on your account.'"

It reminds me of a story I just heard of a 94-year-old man who had to give up visiting in the nursing home in which he was living because his legs gave out, and he couldn't get around to visit.

However, he still carried within the passion for service, and he proudly announced to his son that he had found a new ministry. He said, "Dad, I pass out prayer cards with my name and number, and I tell everyone I see, to call me whenever they need someone to pray for them and my phone is  ringing off the hook."

Unlike my two friends I met for breakfast and this man in the nursing home, there are many who think they are living, but who are really dead- they just don't know it because they are spending their years hunting seashells. 

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment