Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Leadership Thought: Even Pastors Sing the Blues

Dear Friends,

Yesterday was one of those blue days that we all experience at times in our lives. Yes, even preachers get them!

I watched a wonderful documentary about Bart Starr, the legendary Hall of Fame quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. His life of faith was significant to me, for he was one of the men who spoke at a National Fellowship of Christian Athlete's Conference in Lake Geneva Wisc. where in 1962 I surrendered my life to Jesus. God used his testimony to help open my heart to Jesus.

I am not sure why I cried throughout the story, but perhaps they were tears of gratitude as I was reminded of the wonderful repercussions that decision had made in my life.

And then shortly after watching the story of Bart Starr, I began thinking of the empty chair I'll face this Christmas. and the thought of Jean's loss was once again trying to cripple me. I was suddenly a mess.

And then my mind turned to some of the wonderful friends I have known who have blessed and touched my life and who are no longer with us, and those, who are still living, but who are facing life threatening illnesses, and it was just too much for my heart to handle.

What I had hoped would be a productive day now had the makings of a wasted day.  

I sat there in my reading chair, trying to figure out why I had allowed my emotions to subdue me. Sad and feeling alone, I couldn't begin to think of doing anything that was even slightly constructive. 

And then out of the blue it happened. It was a phone call from a good friend who wanted to thank me for something that I had written to her. And shortly after that when I checked my e-mail, to discover an expression of gratitude from another friend who wanted me to know how much he appreciated me and my ministry.  

And then, when I finally decided it was time to open up my bible, I noted the inscription from my friend, Scott Harrigan, who presented that bible to me on  Christmas day of1993.

On the first page I read these handwritten words from Scott-a quote from author J. I. Packer, who wrote the classic Knowing God, a book that had impacted my life many years ago. 

"There is unspeakable comfort- the sort of comfort that energizes, be it said, not enervates- in knowing that God is constantly taking knowledge of me in love and watching over me for my good." 

And underneath my friend had written the words of Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Wow! God is so good, and He is so timely to provide just what we need at just the right time. 

So, thanks Scott and Teddie and Rick, and Bart and the countless others whose words of encouragement have impacted my life, and who know that just because one is a pastor, he is not exempt from  those "singing the blues." kind of days.

The Apostle Paul exhorts us "to encourage one another," and every one of us could use a little encouragement these days.

And Solomon reminds us that "Pleasant words are a honeycomb. sweet to the soul and healing to the bones" (Proverbs 16:25).

Mother Teresa was fond of saying "Kind words are short and easy to speak but their echoes are endless."

How grateful I am for those echoes that God sends and which come at just the right time to renew and restore our spiritual strength.

Maybe God has put someone on your mind today who needs a little 'cheerleading.' Why not take a moment to pick up the phone and let them know how much you love and appreciate them. Or maybe you could drop a personal note in the mail reminding them of how much they have meant to you.

Who knows but what your words might change the tune of the one who is "singing the blues." to the words of "O Happy Day."

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment