Monday, December 18, 2023

Leadership Thought: A Life Group Lesson Last Night That Touched Our Hearts

Dear Friends,

Last night at our Life Group Bible Study, one of our members  shared some exciting news about one of her friends who recently  had come to faith in Jesus Christ. She and her husband had been repeatedly witnessing to this this person, but their efforts were to no avail. 

Unresponsive to their efforts, she would typically respond "I am a good person," and "I don't believe in all of that 'sin stuff'" you are always talking about.

Through tears of joy, she related how a friend had shared the good news of the gospel with her, and she had just put her faith in Christ.

And then she said to my friend: "She kept telling me the same thing you had always been telling me."

Her story reminded me of a similar story I recently re read by pastor and author Steve Brown.

Written almost 40 years ago in a sermon transcript I had filed; Steve shared the following story.

"I talked to a young lady about Christ, about three years ago. I had gone to her within the context of an evangelistic program, and I sat down with this young lady and her husband. and I took almost an hour to explain the gospel and how Jesus loved her and how she could receive Jesus and become a Christian."

"Her response was blank!  A dead wall!  I want you to know I never saw anybody so insensitive to the Gospel of Christ." 

"She was sweet and nice about it, and she simply said, 'It doesn't make sense.' 'I don't understand it.' 'I don't know how it can be made real in my life.'"

" About a year later, I had an opportunity, after explaining the Gospel to her 20 times,  to tell her again about Christ, and after I finished, do you know what she said?"

"She said, 'Steve, why didn't you tell me this before?'"'  

"What was happening? I'll tell you what was happening. Through the work of the Holy Spirit, God was revealing Himself to her. Her heart  had been finally touched and the scales of unbelief had been removed from her eyes."

"I said,  'Jane, what do you think I've been telling you for a year now?'"

A person can hear the gospel again and again and remain unmoved, and then suddenly the Holy Spirit moves within, and a heart is changed, and a person is born again. 

What previously she couldn't believe, and which sounded stupid and ridiculous, now became alive and the result was life changing.

1 Corinthians 2:14, tells us that "the unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." 

When someone talks about sin's power to blind you to your sin, He is talking about something frightening, something radical, something that has the power to prevent you from seeing the devastating consequences of your sinful nature.

Author and pastor John Piper writes, "No one merely decides to experience the Christian Scriptures as the all compelling, all satisfying truth of one's life. Seeing is a gift. And so, the free embrace of God's word is a gift. God's spirit opens the eyes of our heart, and what was once boring, or absurd or foolish, or mythical is now self-evidently real."

It is the supernatural act of the Spirit that opens our eyes and penetrates our hearts and brings truth that results in genuine repentance. Such truth reminds us that it is our sin that nailed Christ to the cross, and it His forgiveness that enables us to experience a life changing event that makes us a new person. We joyfully discover that the "old has passed away, the new has come."

If this message seems too strange, and too ridiculous to believe, you now know why. The scales from your eyes have yet to be lifted.

There is something wrong with us. "We are dead in our trespasses and (the) sins in which (we) once walked." Ephesians 2:1, and it is only the Holy Spirit that can touch our hearts and through faith make us alive.

Because this friend joyfully discovered the truth that all her "sin stuff" really mattered, she has found a new life that lasts forever, and so can you. 

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment