Monday, December 18, 2023

Leadership Thought: A Chair, a Table and a Street Corner Where a Church Was Born.

Dear Friends,

The Dream Center is a church that serves as a beacon of hope to underserved communities throughout the city of Los Angeles. 

The church started with a chair and a table that was placed on a busy street corner, where Matthew Barnett established his office. He had no church, but he had a desire to serve and minister to people.

People would come by and asked him, "What are you doing?" and he would say. "I am here to help you. Is there something that I can do for you?" 

The church with its humble beginnings has become one of the largest churches in all of Los Angeles.

With its Christ-centered approach to reaching out and opening doors to those in need, The Dream Center is helping people restore and rebuild their lives. Now in our 28th year, it is fulfilling an even greater mission than the one originally envisioned by co-founder Pastor Matthew Barnett.

Pastor Barnett’s dream began in 1994 when at age 20 he joined his father, Pastor Tommy Barnett to build a church.. The two led a small church in an inner-city Los Angeles community plagued by crime and gang activity. During the first few months serving the church, Matthew's faith was relentlessly challenged. The pews remained practically empty on Sundays. With virtually no staff to help operate the church, he became increasingly discouraged. 

Matthew said, “One day God spoke to me and said, ‘Forget about where you want to be, and just start serving with whatever I put in your hand,’” He says, “That's when I moved my desk onto the street corner. I had three bags of food and a little old soccer ball to play kick with the kids in the neighborhood. And that’s where the Dream Center began."

Since then, thousands of lives have been touched through their many transformational outreach programs. They reach over 20 neighborhoods across L.A. County every week by providing free food, clothing, furniture, children’s programs and other basic needs for individuals and families.  Their residential program provides free personalized care, guidance and mentorship to community residents. The are committed to equipping people to thrive in their community. The church provides many opportunities for people to rebuild their lives in a safe and structured environment. (Information taken from the church website).

As I learned more about the church, I was intrigued by their mission and their heart for serving others. The ministry has captured the essence of Jesus's teaching and personal example of selfless service. 

The church understands that, like its Master, it has been called to serve and not be served. It lives out the principles of the upside-down kingdom where the way up is down, the way to be first is to be last, and the way to find oneself is to lose oneself in the service of others.

Albert Schweitzer has written "I don't know what your destiny is, but one thing I do know, is that only the ones who serve will really be happy."  He's right. The happiest people are not always the most successful people, but they're the ones who serve the best. "

I've met a lot of unhappy, but successful people, but I've never met any unhappy successful persons who have given their lives to Jesus. His life changes our lives from selfishness to service. and it is in serving others that our joy is found.

Oswald Chambers, author of the classic devotional, His Utmost for His Highest asks, "Are you willing to sacrifice yourself for the work of another, to pour out your life sacrificially for the ministry and faith of others? Or do you say, 'I'm not willing to be poured out right now, and I don't want God to tell me how to serve him. I want to choose the place of my own sacrifice. And I want to have certain people watching me saying, well done.'"

Jesus says, "I have given you and example, that you should do as I have done to you, and he grabbed a towel and a basin and began to wash feet. Can we and our church do anything less?

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment