Monday, December 11, 2023

Leadership Thought: One of the Most Valuable Life Lessons I Have Ever Learned

"The purpose of human life is to serve and to show compassion. and the will to help others." Albert Switzer. 

Dear Friends, 

Leadership expert John Maxwell, whose teaching has so inspired and impacted my life, states the importance of adding value to people. He says, "Everyday day I wake up, I begin thinking of how I can add value to others.  

Unless we are intentional about adding value to others, it probably won't happen. Why? Because we are naturally selfish. 

Last week I had a friend respond to a message I shared on the importance of being the first to show kindness to others. 

He said, "I am always trying to do this, but I am amazed at how seldom people reciprocate."

I wrote back and said that should not surprise you, for most people are selfish. The first thing they think of when they get up is who is going to meet my needs, who is going to serve me, and who is going to help me get what I want. The thought of adding value to others seldom enters their mind.

That is why it is so important to be intentional about adding value to others. Unless we are intentional, it probably won't happen because our selfish  nature will take over and we will wait for someone to add value to us.

John talks about how he taught the importance of adding value to others to one of his grandchildren. A few days after hearing this message, he got a note from his grandson. 

"Grandpa, I wanted you to know that at school today I opened 47 doors and I smiled at 47 people, and I told them to have a good day."

What a valuable legacy John left to that grandchild. 

It doesn't take a lot of effort to open the door for someone, to smile and to wish them a good day. Doing so not only blesses them but it blesses you.

We need more people who will intentionally be OTHER minded.

The quality that made Jesus so approachable was that He was other minded. He was always seeking to be the first to lift others up, to meet their needs, to show His kindness, and to offer His love.

So today, I challenge you to be the first to make that call, give that hug, offer that gift, express that encouragement, listen with not only your ears, but your heart, give someone your full attention, make time for others, care deeply, and yes, maybe like John's grandson, open a few doors, smile, and encourage others to have a good day.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment